Hi Denise --

-- As Stephen says, you can set up a password in System Preferences.

-- I used to run my iMac without a password. Since I added a password,
for the same reasons as you, I find:

1. If there is a power outage etc or unexpected shutdown, the system
does not come up again automatically, until you have inserted the
password. I use  eyeTV to record TV programs, and this doesn't work if
the system goes down at night.
2. It's quite easy to forget your password, so if you take your
computer overseas, after a long period at home without needing the
password, you must be prepared for this.

-- The usual balance of convenience against security ....

David Noel