Hi Chris, Hi Peter, I'm still using Snow Leopard - but Peter says finder still behaves the same - so here's a thought:
I've had similar problems in the past when migrating between machines where I have changed user names or set-up a machine using an admin account and then set-up a user account later. The problems were where I ended up with some folders that I was not the "owner" of - ie they were "owned" by a different user name. Easy to check. Just pick one of the folders that you are trying to drop files into that is giving you this 'authentication window' issue and do a "get info" on the folder and check the permissions on it and make sure that your account is the holder with read and write permissions. Of course, your problem may be completely different - but it is an easy check to be sure. Cheers Neil -- Neil R. Houghton Albany, Western Australia Tel: +61 8 9841 6063 Email: [email protected] on 7/10/14 7:36, Peter Hinchliffe at [email protected] wrote: > > On 6 Oct 2014, at 11:53 am, Chris Burton <[email protected]> wrote: > >> Good day WA muggers, >> >> Its sure nice to be back in the Southwest after 2 months offshore of >> West Africa! >> >> Im only now beginning to use my new imac with Mavericks and noticing >> quite a bit of difference from OS 10.6 on my MBPro!! >> >> One thing that Im not sure how to change, is when I need to rename >> folders or are transferring image files from my backup drive to the >> imac I always have an 'authentication window' pop for me to enter my >> password! >> >> I have looked in the Finder and System prefs but cant find anywhere to >> change this from occuring. >> >> Any advice is much appreciated for my limited Mavericks experience >> >> > > Not sure what is happening here. The behaviour as you describe it is not > normal for Mavericks, unless you are copying into, or creating a folder in, a > secured area such as /System or /Library. Finder's behaviour in Mavericks in > this regard has not changed from what you're used to in Snow Leopard. A few > more details are required in order to comment further. > > > Peter Hinchliffe Apwin Computer Services > FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer > Perth, Western Australia > Phone (618) 9332 6482 Mob 0403 046 948 > -------------------------------------------------------------------- > Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to. > > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- > Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> > Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> > Settings & Unsubscribe - > <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

