Hi Ronni Thanks for a quick fix of the issue, but there is something deeper here.
> Try exactly the same search after changing DuckDuckGo to Google in Safari > Preferences > Search Engine: Google 1. Tried same search in both DuckDuckGo and Google (with both the correct and wrong spelling of “propagate”). DDG - failed each test. Google - Accessed site OK on each test. A small difference - Google has different detail of the URL: www.anbg.gov.au > Gardens. 2. Then tried Bing. No access - same as DuckDuckGo! And its ‘anbg' URL appeared to be same as Google’s. 3. Then tried the 2009 iMac from its sick bed. Its default search engine is Bing. It failed, same message but with different Apple ID Authentication date and time. Tried Google - OK. Then had to install the software update for iBooks, Safari 7.1 and Security Update that was released after Mavericks 10.9.5 to install DuckDuckGo. (I had used the Mac Recovery disk utility to re-install Mavericks yesterday.) Tried all search engines again with same result. DDG and Bing - no, Google - OK. > NO, its not the same as my text... my text below is 4. My fault. The actual text is “wants to sign using … “, the same as yours. 5. The Safari update to 7.1.1 does not appear in my software update or app reminders. Couldn’t find it in the Apple website. Interesting that the Macrumors story dated 3 December has now been updated to show (of the 3 Safari variants released) that 8.0.1 has been pulled. I will wait until I get the standard notification from Apple, then wait a week, before installing the 7.1 update (and re-testing the search engines). Have now set Google as the default search engine! (Until I get furious with their personalised ads again.) Cheers Alan On 4 Dec 2014, at 4:18 pm, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote: > Hi Alan, > > Comments in Situ below. >> On 4 Dec 2014, at 2:43 pm, Alan Smith <[email protected]> wrote: >> >> Hi Ronni >> >> I clicked on the search engine link to go to the website which normally >> displayed just the first three fields ( to “au”) but hovering displayed this >> full path: >> anbg.gov.au/anigozanthos/index.html > > The URL above is NOT a secure SSL web site. > >> Safari failed when attempting access directly from duckduckgo. If I typed >> just the “portal” URL into Safari, it takes me to the website where I can >> navigate to the correct page. Also, if I type the full (?) URL as above >> into Safari, it takes me directly to the required page. >> >> The website does not indicate it is secure, there is no URL lock icon, no >> https on the portal home page, and no indication on the detail page. After >> clicking the duckduckgo link I immediately get the WebKit message, therefore >> I can’t see if the secure lock icon appears in the Safari URL input field. > > Sounds like DuckDuckGo is the problem here. > Try exactly the same search after changing DuckDuckGo to Google in Safari > Preferences > Search Engine: Google >> >>> Also, what is the full correct message that you received: >> I took screenshots of the WebKit and Safari messages. Same as your text, >> with different date and time: > > NO, its not the same as my text... my text below is > "“com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc wants to sign using key “Apple ID > Authentication > Your text was: com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc want to sign in using key > “Apple ID Authentication > > I'm not being pedantic... but Sign using key is different to Sign in using > key > I knew the date and time would not be the same as what I had typed. >> >> com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc want to sign in using key “Apple ID >> Authentication 2013-10-27 11:30:03 GMT+08:00” in your keychain. Do you want >> to allow access to this item? >> >> There were two identical (I think) consecutive messages; then returned to >> the Safari fail page after the second “deny”. >> >> By the way, all these searches and tests were from the 2012 “good” iMac. It >> uses Safari 7.1 - I see that Macrumors reports that an update has just been >> released. I won’t install it until this little mystery has been resolved. > > Try using Google first and see if your get the > "com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc" error window. > If there is an update for Safari for your system, use Software Update to > update it. > > Cheers, > Ronni > >> >> Cheers >> Alan >> >> >> On 4 Dec 2014, at 11:58 am, Ronni Brown <[email protected]> wrote: >> >>> Hi Alan, >>> >>> I’m not sure what’s happened in your situation. You might have tried to >>> access a secure (SSL) site that Keychain does not have a certificate for. >>> >>> When Safari goes on a secure web site, the web site gives a certificate to >>> be signed, and Safari has to sign that certificate using one from the >>> keychain. >>> Perhaps there is a confusion in the keychain between the correct >>> certificate and a incorrect certificate, and then Safari tries to sign >>> using the incorrect certificate? >>> >>> The web site certificate can be displayed by clicking on the lock on the >>> left of the URL field on the top of the Safari window. >>> If you can find the secure website that you tried to access post back with >>> the details of the certificate or send the URL address so I can check it. >>> >>> Also, what is the full correct message that you received: >>> “com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc wants to sign using key “Apple ID >>> Authentication 2013-05-20 23:16:58 GMT-04:00” in your keychain. >>> Do you want to allow access to this item? >>> >>> Or does it have a different Date & Time? >>> >>> Cheers, >>> Ronni >>> >>> 13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014) >>> 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz >>> 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM >>> 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage >>> >>> >>>> On 3 Dec 2014, at 10:31 pm, Alan Smith <[email protected]> wrote: >>>> >>>> Got a pop-up in Safari “com.apple.WebKit.Networking.xpc wants to sign in >>>> using key Apple ID Authentication etc …. “ with options to always allow, >>>> deny, or allow. >>>> >>>> Never seen a such a message before. What is it all about? ** Rephrase >>>> this: not all, just a precis! An internet search talked about rendering >>>> machines, which I thought might be associated with house building . . . >>>> >>>> I had done a duckduckgo search for “propogate kangaroo paw seeds” and top >>>> hit was site "anbg dot gov au” which looked reasonably safe to read. Got >>>> the WebKit message, but Safari gave a message “can’t open page … because >>>> can’t establish a secure connection” when I denied access to WebKit. >>>> >>>> Cheers >>>> Alan >>>> >>>> Alan Smith >>>> Late 2012 iMac 27" Intel Quad Core i5 Fusion 3.2GHz 8G RAM - OSX 10.9.5 >>>> Mavericks >>>> Late 2009 iMac 21.5" Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz 12G RAM - OSX 10.9.5 >>>> Mavericks >>>> iPhone5; iPad2; ATV2 >> > > -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- > Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> > Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> > Settings & Unsubscribe - > <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>
-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List -- Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml> Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

