Hi Alan

On 31/03/2015, at 8:10 AM, Peter Hinchliffe wrote:

>> On 30 Mar 2015, at 11:32 am, Alan Smith <sma...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>>

>> Thanks for your response Peter.  I had reached the same understanding you
>> gave, hence my request to wamug for the extra experience or a workaround
>> solution.   Perhaps a more detailed description of my desired outcome would
>> help:-
>>
>> My start position is that changing the desktop picture via System
>> Preferences is independent of any open app, which is critical. Further,
>> selecting the menu bar or an menulet item does not affect the current
>> “active” application.
>>
>> I share my desktop screen during webinars.  Most of the desktop acreage is
>> used by the working applications - but the top menu bar remains visible and
>> accessible.  Ideally I want 4 single-function Menulets on the menu bar.  (A
>> single Menulet with a drop down menu would be second best.)    I can control
>> the working application window sizes to leave a border of the base desktop.
>> I want to signal time warnings of green, orange and red desktop colour
>> changes for webinar participants to ensure they wrap up their point so I can
>> (politely) resume control. The fourth menu bar icon would be to restore the
>> standard desktop background.  These desktop background colour changes must
>> be done “within one second”.  Navigating through Apple > System Preferences
>> > Desktop & Screen Saver etc etc takes too long, displays its windows over
>> the working webinar windows, and is prone to error due to haste.
>>
>> Some extra words to clarify or confuse - - -.   One solution would be use a
>> third party app - but I haven’t found one.  Another possibility (not
>> researched) is to use large coloured images floating on the desktop.  These
>> would normally be hidden by the open webinar apps.  Each card could be
>> dragged to the unused border area as needed.  Two immediate problems: such
>> cards MUST remain in the background when “activated", and clicking on any
>> one must not open an application.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Alan
>>

> I know of nothing in the Mac OS, as it comes out of the box, which can help
> you -  other than Automator, where I now think your solution lies, in
> conjunction with a bit of Applescript thrown in. Failing that, I’m afraid you
> are going to have keep searching for your elusive 3rd party app or commission
> someone to write one.

Have a look for a program called wallpaper-wizard-lite (Google the phrase) - I
am not familiar with it but it may allow you to change the background by
pressing a key. Note that I did find a user comment that it is no longer being
updated, and can cause problems with Yosemite, but comments about it with older
versions of the OS were generally positive.

Regards

Geoff