Hi Brian,

Just a very quick reply that might help.
Restart the computer in safe mode <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455>. Certain
caches maintained by the system will be rebuilt.
Safe mode is much slower to start up than normal.
The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.
When the login screen appears, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and test.
There's no need to log in while in safe mode.