We have a cordless phone base running from a wall mounted socket.  It has
an ordinary in line filter.  There seems to be a suggestion on Google that
a filter that actually clips over the wall plate might help in
lessening the background noise which occurs on it, on the second handset
and another standard phone extension connected to a phone extension socket.
  Our router is connected to a different  outlet in another room.

Has anyone had a success with this method, please?

Regards,
Jennifer