Hi Blitto,

Does sound like the external HD has some file corruption.

Have you tried repairing the external drive using Disk Utility in OS X Recovery
HD partition?

Restart the computer and hold the Command-R keys until you see the Apple
symbol.
Once in Recovery HD - OS X Utilities select Disk Utility - select the hard
drive that reported the error, click the “First Aid” tab, and then click on
“Repair Disk”

If no success in Recovery HD Disk Utility, do you have Disk Warrior ?
Disk Warrior ‘might’ be able to repair the external drive if Recovery HD Disk
Utility can’t.

If all above fails to repair the external drive - Do you have Data Rescue 4?
A Data Recovery place will charge you even if they are unable to recover any
files for you, so worth giving Data Rescue a go first.