> On 31 Jul 2016, at 2:04 PM, Severin Crisp <sevcr...@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> For some reason, unknown to me I have imported many Photos without “Copy
> items to Photos library” set on.
> Those photos appear as thumbnails and enlarge on screen but I can not export
> them because the originals are missing and in many cases unretrievable.  From
> the Package contents I find a litany of files probably contains the pictures.
>  How can I at least “rebuild” to the good onscreen enlargements?

Hi Severin,

I thought we sorted this problem on 10 May 2016 Subject: PHOTO problem.
When you had imported some photos in  ‘Referenced Mode’ - (when ‘Copy Items to
the Photos Library’ preference was unchecked.)

I gave instructions how to find all the referenced photos using a Smart Album.
You can find all referenced photos using a Smart Album (File menu -> New Smart
Album - criteria photo is referenced)… which I though you did?

The smart album does not search the disk at all nor does it locate anything -
it tells you what photos in the Photos library are referenced rather than
having been copied to the library.

Once the Smart Album shows all the photos that are ‘Referenced’, there are a
couple of options you can try to reveal the original file.

Option 1: Use the Photos “Show Referenced File in Finder” Option to Reveal the
Original File in Mac OS X:
1. Select an image in Photos app, go to the File Menu
2. Choose “Show Referenced File in Finder” to open the original files location
within the Mac file system.
3. If the File > Show Referenced File in Finder command is active.
If it is, you can ask Photos to copy the file into the Photos library file by
choosing File > Consolidate.

Option 2: Access the Original Image File with a Drag & Drop from Photos App to
a Mac Folder
If you choose to maintain the default Photos function of importing and copying
pictures into a distinct Photos library, the “Show Referenced File in Finder”
won’t be available to you. This means you’ll need to use a workaround to access
the original image, perhaps the most simple is a basic drag and drop:

Just select the image you want to access in the Finder of  OS X, and drag it
from the Photos app into a folder on the Mac desktop. A copy of the file – not
the original – will reveal itself in the location you dropped the picture.

Option 3: Use Finder to Dig Around in Photos.photoslibrary
Not recommended but another possibility is to root around in the Photos
Library.photoslibrary package found in ~/Pictures/ and manually attempt to
locate the master image file(s).

This works, but the .photoslibrary packages are clearly not intended to be user
facing, and the directories are not organized in a manner that makes them easy
to browse.
While this is possible, I do not recommend this unless the above methods don’t
work and you absolutely must access the original image file, mostly because
improper handling of these master picture files can lead to problems in Photos
app, or worse, the loss of an image or photo.

> Severin Crisp
> Albany 10C, hail a few minutes ago!

A real shocker of a night last night here and NO walks for Perez & I today :(

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

El Capitan OS X 10.11.5