Hi
It is possible that this issue is caused by a newer version of iOS not working with an older version of OSX. My wife had this message last week. I looked into it and came up with this site:
http://www.mac-forums.com/iphone-hardware-and-accessories/328322-sync-issues-itunes-11-4-ios-9-0-1-osx-10-6-8-a.html

Sync issues itunes 11.4 IOS 9.0.1 OSX 10.6.8
Last year, A version of iTunes 11.4 was available for people who were unable to sync their music when a certain update in IOS 8 was issued. It worked and all was good. I purposely did not update my iPhone to 9.0 when it came out, because i figured I would run into the same issue. I DID update to 9.0.1 the other day, and sure enough, my iTunes version 11.4 won't sync to my iPhone w/ IOS 9.0.1.
There doesn't seem to be an easy workaround.

Gary, are you running an old version of OSX - e.g. 10.6.8?
Rob