Peter,
I run a 2011 MacBook Air with 4 GB RAM but it has a SSD and is very good with 
Sierra and all its tasks.
Change the HD to a SSD (and update the RAM), it will make the MBP very fast and 
responsive. It will be the best $250 you will have spent on a computer in 
years. You should consider getting a 500GB SSD and not upgrading the RAM if the 
cost gets too high.
I’m guessing that a 2011 model may soon be abandoned by Apple in a future Mac 
OS update, maybe 10.13 or hopefully 10.14.

robin

> On 1 May 2017, at 6:11 pm, Peter Crisp <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> HI there, my son James is finding his MBP is quite slow when doing high 
> demand activities, video and photo editing etc. He is also in Y11 and finds 
> his MBP lags behind peers in a classroom environment but I don’t think it is 
> any or much slower than a late 2011 MBP would be if it were straight out of 
> the box today. His HDD is less than half full, running Sierra 10.12.4 and 
> 2.4GHz intel core i5 4GB ram with 500GB HDD. 
> 
> I am thinking there are two paths to take but financial impact will be 
> significant in deciding what to do. Either a later model MBP swap which is 
> faster than current item or an SSD/ram upgrade for his 2011 MBP. I've 
> researched a bit and figure for ~$250 I can fit a 250GB SSD and 2X4GB Ram 
> cards and this will bring it to a good speed level I think. But this will 
> still leave it as a 2011 MBP.
> 
> Does anyone have any recommendation of what later model MBP I might target 
> that will give equivalent speed to my proposed upgraded 2011 MBP result?
> 
> 
> Peter Crisp
> [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
> 
> 
> 
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
> Settings & Unsubscribe - 
> <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>

-- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.shtml>
Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.shtml>
Settings & Unsubscribe - <http://lists.wamug.org.au/listinfo/wamug.org.au-wamug>