> On 7 Aug 2017, at 2:02 pm, Allen <all...@amnet.net.au> wrote:
>
> I am about to update our iMac from macOS 10.11.6  to OS 10.12.6
>
> Would some one please remind me at what point do I stop our files being moved
> on to the iCloud?
>
> Is there anything else I should consider. We are fully backed up
>
> Regards Allen

Hi Allen,

You mention above that you are fully backed up, so I’m assuming you have a
bootable backup included in your backup regime
And you have done the normal preparations, and updated third-party software.

Run Disk Utility
Use Disk Utility in El Capitan or Later:
1. Launch Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities).
2. In the list on the left, select your startup volume (if it isn’t already
selected), which is indented underneath the name of the device (hard drive or
SSD) that contains it.
3. Click First Aid on the toolbar, and then click Run. Disk Utility checks your
disk and repairs it if necessary.
4. When the repair is finished, click Done and quit Disk Utility.
—
Download Sierra on the Destination Mac:
The Sierra installer downloads to your /Applications folder—a process that
could take anywhere from minutes to days, depending on the bandwidth of your
broadband connection.

After it downloads, the installer launches automatically.

But you’re not ready to install Sierra quite yet, so choose Install macOS
Sierra > Quit Install macOS Sierra to quit the installer for the time being.

The installer deletes itself after installing only when both of the following
are true:
• The installer is in /Applications on your startup volume.
• You do an in-place upgrade of your startup volume.

If you put the installer anywhere else—your Desktop, or ~/Downloads, or
wherever—it won’t be deleted after it runs. Even so, because that big file is
valuable, I urge you to make a copy just in case the unexpected should happen.

So, before you do anything else, you should either Command-drag the installer
to move it from /Applications to another location (so it won’t be deleted
automatically, no matter what), or Option-drag the installer to copy it to
another location—preferably another volume—so if it is deleted, you’ll have a
spare.

Installing Sierra:
In the process of upgrading to Sierra, the installer will invite you to turn
iCloud Drive feature on. (The relevant installer screen is titled “All your
files in iCloud,” and the single checkbox “Store files from Documents and
Desktop in iCloud Drive” is selected by default.)
Deselect this during the Sierra upgrade!

And after installing the Sierra upgrade, check System Preferences > iCloud -
that iCloud Drive is NOT ticked!
The first thing I do after installing a OS X update & iOS update is check that
iCloud Drive is NOT ON… & turn if OFF if it is.
I use iCloud for just about everything else - but NOT “iCloud Drive”!

Preform Post-Installation Tasks:
Respond to immediate questions. Among the most common questions are requests
for your user account password or Apple ID password. For example, certain apps
may once again need an administrator’s authorization to make changes to your
data, and various apps that use your Apple ID (including iTunes and iBooks) may
need you to sign in again.

Tip: Even if you’re not prompted, it’s a good idea to check System Preferences
> iCloud to make sure you’re signed in to iCloud (and with the correct Apple
ID). Do the same in iTunes (Account > View My Account) and the App Store (Store
> View My Account).

Work your way through any such dialogs you see, even if they seem redundant.
After that one-time process, most of them will not reappear.

Handle Software Updates:
The next thing you should do is to update macOS itself (and any other crucial
Apple software) to the latest version. Sometimes Apple releases bug fixes and
security updates almost immediately after a major upgrade, and if any such
urgent updates are available, it’s in your best interest to install them right
away.
In Sierra, as in every version of OS X since Mountain Lion, all updates to
Apple software—including macOS itself, built-in software such as Safari and
QuickTime, and optional purchases such as Final Cut Pro and Pages—are delivered
through the App Store app. And, of course, you can update all the third-party
apps you’ve purchased from the App Store at the same time.

In some cases, the App Store notifies you automatically of updates, but I
recommend checking manually, shortly after your Mac starts up under Sierra for
the first time.

Cheers,
Ronni

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS Sierra 10.12.6