Hi Ronnie

The Sierra Installer did not present the "All your files in iCloud " screen so
I didn't get a chance to deselect it.  On my account System Preferences shows
shows iCloud Drive unticked which is fine. When I logged onto my wife's account
System Preferences has iCloud Drive ticked which is what I was trying to avoid.

I have unticked the iCloud Drive box and have been given 3 choices and a
warning documents stored on the iCloud will be removed from this Mac

-Keep a copy
-cancel
-Remove from Mac

I haven't chosen any of these yet as I am unsure what to do next. Will some of
Carolyn's files already been removed from the Mac and if so how do I get them
back?

I'd appreciate some advice on what to do next please

Cheers Allen

On 08/08/2017, at 11:02 AM, Ronda Brown wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> If you put the installer anywhere else—your Desktop, or ~/Downloads, or
>>> wherever—it won’t be deleted after it runs. Even so, because that big file
>>> is valuable, I urge you to make a copy just in case the unexpected should
>>> happen.
>>>
>>> So, before you do anything else, you should either Command-drag the
>>> installer to move it from /Applications to another location (so it won’t be
>>> deleted automatically, no matter what), or Option-drag the installer to
>>> copy it to another location—preferably another volume—so if it is deleted,
>>> you’ll have a spare.
>>>
>>> Installing Sierra:
>>> In the process of upgrading to Sierra, the installer will invite you to
>>> turn iCloud Drive feature on. (The relevant installer screen is titled “All
>>> your files in iCloud,” and the single checkbox “Store files from Documents
>>> and Desktop in iCloud Drive” is selected by default.)
>>> Deselect this during the Sierra upgrade!
>>>
>>> And after installing the Sierra upgrade, check System Preferences > iCloud
>>> - that iCloud Drive is NOT ticked!
>>> The first thing I do after installing a OS X update & iOS update is check
>>> that iCloud Drive is NOT ON… & turn if OFF if it is.
>>> I use iCloud for just about everything else - but NOT “iCloud Drive”!
>>>
>>> Preform Post-Installation Tasks:
>>> Respond to immediate questions. Among the most common questions are
>>> requests for your user account password or Apple ID password. For example,
>>> certain apps may once again need an administrator’s authorization to make
>>> changes to your data, and various apps that use your Apple ID (including
>>> iTunes and iBooks) may need you to sign in again.
>>>
>>> Tip: Even if you’re not prompted, it’s a good idea to check System
>>> Preferences > iCloud to make sure you’re signed in to iCloud (and with the
>>> correct Apple ID). Do the same in iTunes (Account > View My Account) and
>>> the App Store (Store > View My Account).
>>>
>>> Work your way through any such dialogs you see, even if they seem
>>> redundant. After that one-time process, most of them will not reappear.
>>>
>>> Handle Software Updates:
>>> The next thing you should do is to update macOS itself (and any other
>>> crucial Apple software) to the latest version. Sometimes Apple releases bug
>>> fixes and security updates almost immediately after a major upgrade, and if
>>> any such urgent updates are available, it’s in your best interest to
>>> install them right away.
>>> In Sierra, as in every version of OS X since Mountain Lion, all updates to
>>> Apple software—including macOS itself, built-in software such as Safari and
>>> QuickTime, and optional purchases such as Final Cut Pro and Pages—are
>>> delivered through the App Store app. And, of course, you can update all the
>>> third-party apps you’ve purchased from the App Store at the same time.
>>>
>>> In some cases, the App Store notifies you automatically of updates, but I
>>> recommend checking manually, shortly after your Mac starts up under Sierra

>>> 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
>>> 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM