Unbelievable Allen,

I was just about to send my reply to your previous email when I heard a message
come in.
This is what I was about to send to you!

Hi Allen,
My comments in Situ below in purple

Hi Ronni

My installation didn't go like that. After I clicked on the Install icon
located on the desktop (I moved it there after download) the installation took
about 40 minutes. Then there was another wait for about 20 minutes then I was
presented with the line of log in options so I logged on to my account.  There
was no second Mac restart and no setup assistant just straight to login so no
questions about storage etc.

The iMac did restart a couple of times during the long wait for the login
screen to appear, you might not have necessarily heard any startup chimes. Then
during the login process you are asked for your User Account password, Apple ID
& iCloud ID details maybe other passwords or questions

I didn't go to iCloud Drive/Options
So you don’t know what was selected in iCloud Drive - Options, in your Wife’s
user account?
You needed to Go to System Preferences > iCloud,  click the Options button next
to iCloud Drive.
A) At the  bottom, ‘Uncheck’ Optimize Mac Storage. Click Done.
B) Uncheck ‘Desktop & Documents Folders’ checkbox at the top of  iCloud Drive
under Documents.
     This turns off the syncing of the files.

After you click ‘Done’ - you will see messages ”are you really sure etc” and
stuff will happen in the background such as those items will no longer be
stored in the Cloud, they will no longer sync to your other devices, they will
ONLY be stored on your Mac.

Carolyn's desktop files are still there and her Documents folder is very full
of folders with files so hopefully intact. There is no iCloud Drive icon in her
Favourites
Is there or was there ever a iCloud Drive icon under iCloud in the left side
column of the Finder Window?

Is it an option to do the Installation again?
Is it the latest Sierra version 10.12.6?  I don’t think there is anything wrong
with the Sierra installation just the setup of iCloud Drive in your wife’s user
account and what (if anything) has been uploaded to iCloud.

In your wife’s user account - Go to System Preferences > iCloud - click
‘Manage’ (at the bottom of the pane next to the iCloud Storage indicator).
In the dialog that appears, each category listed on the left shows how much
data is storing online.

Also in your wife’s user account Go to https://www.icloud.com
<https://www.icloud.com/> in her user account and login to see what has been
uploaded there if there is not a iCloud Drive icon showing in left side of her
Finder window.

Please reply with the details to my questions please.

Cheers,
Ronni

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS Sierra 10.12.6