I have not tried this, but perhaps if you could find the iMovie Library in Time
Machine.
But you would need to get it between adding the original clips and starting
editing.
Alternatively start a new project from scratch importing the clips again.

Bit of a pain but I cannot think of anything else.
Problem is what caused this in the first place ?