I have a problem with my TM backup, suddenly my 3 TB disk is full and I get a
message that it needs to be replaced with a new file. Until recently there was
ca 0.9 TB available.

There are 5 files on the disk, 3 sparse images and 2 Folders which have Finder
copies of files from my G4 and eMac.

eMac 16.69 GB
G4 20.49 GB
MacBook Air 189.19 GB (created 28 Jun 2017)
InteliMac 783.34 GB (created 23 Jun 2012)
MacBook Pro 1.59 TB (created 23 Feb 2012)

The InteliMac is still backing up hourly despite the small amount of space left
(397.83 GB).
The MacBook Air does not get backed up, we both use it at times via Drop Box so
it is just the OS files.

I can’t explain why my files have suddenly ballooned. For a while the backup
included my Windows disk every time I used it, but that was excluded years ago.
There have been no changes apart from routine updates. The last backup was on 9
July, I have had some ghastly URTI since 4 July and feel unable to cope with
this. I have just been copying the files I change to a flash drive and updating
the clone daily. I need advice about how to proceed.

I don’t want to throw away my old files but I don’t know whether they will be
of any use if I save the sparse image to another disk (I shall have to buy
one). I thought that TM got rid of the oldest files to make room for newer
ones. That obviously didn’t happen and the suddenness of the increase in size
makes me wonder if the backup is corrupted.

I can’t just leave it any longer as Graham depends on the TM (or me) for
backups. Can someone please help? I need to know if it is worth trying to save
the old file and whether creating a new sparse image is likely to affect the
other files on the disk.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011), 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Sierra 10.12.6 (16G1510)

Best wishes to all from Diana