Thank you Peter … this explains something to me.

I have used DuckDuckGo in place of Google for the last few months.
Decided to banish myself from Google’s trackers.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that when DDG opens it pops up first time user
windows again.
If I click on one of those I am told that the extension no longer operates and
is being revised.

So for the time being I am simply closing that window each time DDG opens.

> On 1 Oct 2018, at 9:02 am, Peter Hinchliffe <hinch...@multiline.com.au> wrote:
>
> Safari 12 has had some significant changes to the way extensions are written
> and used by the program, to extent that the old Safari Extensions Webpage has
> been replaced by a specific location within the Mac App Store. The old web
> page still exists for the benefit of users of older versions of Safari. One
> consequence of this is that many of the older extensions are either deleted
> or at least compromised when you launch Safari 12.
>
> One of these is Ad-Blocker , which while still operative, comes with a
> warning that it will significantly affect the speed of loading of some
> websites. See the writing on the wall, I bagan to cast around for a suitable
> replacement on the App Store and chose a freebie one called “Magic Lasso”. It
> is extremely effective, to the point that it works entirely too well, and
> blocks access to perfectly legitimate sites, especially if you’re trying to
> come in from a link in an email, for example. The big problem here is that it
> provides no way to whitelist such sites. On these occasions I’ve had to go
> back and re-activate Ad-Blocker. But I want to move on. Ad-Block say they are
> coming up with a working solution, but it’s not quite here yet.
>
> Many of the others do support whitelisting, but the prices are from anywhere
> between free and about $15, and I’m not really prepared to go through them
> one by one. There no try-before-you-buy on the App Store. Has anyone else on
> the list had experienced the same problems, or come up with a solution
> they’re happy with?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Peter Hinchliffe        Apwin Computer Services
> FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
> Perth, Western Australia
> Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948

Regards,
Stephen Chape