Hi John,

In System Preferences > Network > Ethernet - what IP address is showing, does
it start with 169?
Check System Preferences/Network, select the Ethernet, and make sure Configure
IPv4 is set to Using DHCP (not DHCP using manual address).
Then select Wi-Fi/Advanced/TCP/IP and check for the same thing.
Then Restart your Mac mini and restart your Modem/Router.

Re: Transferring data across the Network between Mac mini & MacBook Pro.

Open System Preferences from the  Apple menu, and click on “Sharing” panel.
Check to enable “File Sharing” on all Macs you want to share files between.
From the OS X Finder, hit Command+Shift+K and then click “Browse” to find and
connect to the desired Mac

Apple has axed the iCloud feature Back to My Mac in Mojave, which made screen
and file sharing possible between two Macs, even when they weren’t on the same
network.

13-inch MacBook Air (April 2014)
1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost to 3.3GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6