Hi Neil

Just to clarify points about system migration.  My understanding from reading,
not practical experience, is that direct target mode will not work.  Macbook
Air is mid 2012 model with Thunderbolt 1 ports and no ethernet.  Mac Mini is
2018 model with Thunderbolt 3 ports plus ethernet.  Time Capsule has ethernet
ports.  Apple sell a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter.  Simple choice -
use the Time Machine backup via ethernet.

The MBA OS is latest Mojave.  Assumption is that the Mac Mini will have version
1 of Mojave OS.

Given the urgency of getting the system migrated, the MBA has not been fully
prepared with getting everything up to date and ancient apps deleted. It
probably has legacy stuff and file structures from a series of Mac migrations
over the years.  A complete clean install would be very nice, but b.i.l. does
not have the time for this.

Your input has been very valuable.  Not least to clarify the problems and
options. I will be visiting brother in law later this morning when we can
finalise plans and perhaps start the migration process.

Cheers
Alan