Hi Jewels,

Glad you have at least got your email working again. Yes, it is worth taking
your time to work out a good email set-up before jumping in and changing
things. I am by no means an expert in email systems except what I have had to
learn as I went along - guided as we all have been by the generous
contributions of others on the list - Daniel & Ronni obviously come to mind
here.

Having said that, I am a great believer in trying to work out how things work
and, sometimes more importantly, how they go wrong!

A couple more thoughts/comments:

In your reply to Daniel you said "I will hang on until I get my new MacPro,
whenever they become available and will probably have the two machines set up
as POP." -  I have found this to be a workable solution in the past PROVIDED
you have a plan as to how/when each computer downloads messages from the server
 and how/when messages are deleted from the server. It seem to me there are two
basic approaches to this:

•       You have a designated "main" email computer which downloads all mail
and on which you sort/organise all your saved mail and the other computer(s)
are secondary and only used to "catch up" on new emails when you are away from
your "main" computer - this is the approach which I used and so all the
secondary computers were set to "leave a copy of each message on the server"
and "Delete copies from the server - Never"  whilst on the primary computer
"leave a copy of each message on the server" was unselected - so the messages
were downloaded and immediately cleared from the server. This used to work fine
until I was overseas for a while, using the secondary computer, and found that
the server quota was being exceeded.
•       You want both/all computers to be "equals" and have all emails on them
- in which case you would set all computers to "leave a copy of each message on
the server" and then set a suitable period to delete copies from the server
(you mentioned 1 month) - your main considerations here would be:
i) Make sure each computer accesses the mail server frequently enough to catch
messages before they are deleted
ii) Make sure that any months worth of email can be accommodated by your server
mails quota (this ruled out this approach for me)
iii) Do all your email sorting/filing separately, but consistently on all
computers (I would have found this challenging!)

You say " On checking, it appears to change an IMAP to a POP account is rather
laborious and difficult." - I suppose it depends how you look at it. The first
thing when talking about "email accounts" is to distinguish between the server
side setup and the email client. You actual email "account" - as in the email
address is just that - an address that points to your email account on your
email server. POP and IMAP are just 2 different ways to access that account
with 2 different rationales - the POP rationale assumes that you will download
all your emails and then manage them on your computer whilst the IMAP rationale
assumes that all your emails are retained, sorted and generally managed on the
server - your computer email client (or webmail session) is just the gateway to
do this.

You can think of IMAP as an email equivalent to Dropbox - it keeps everything
in sync between computers/devices - actions performed on one device are synced
to the cloud (your email server) and then on to the next device which connects
to (syncs with) your account.

You have already experienced some of the problems associated with mixing POP
and IMAP access across different computers however changing from POP to IMAP
need not be "rather laborious and difficult." provided one has a clear plan of
action. I will give you a few thoughts based on my own experience. I actually
use MS Outlook as my email client rather than OSX Mail - so some
details/procedures may be slightly different, but the principles are the same.

•       In your email client you do not "change" an account from POP to IMAP,
you create a new IMAP account and then delete the old POP account.
•       If you use email "rules" to sort and organise your email (I have
multiple email accounts and use rules a lot) be aware that your old POP rules
will no longer work if/when the POP account is deleted. You can set-up new IMAP
client rules - but they will only be effective when the computer that the rules
are set-up on is accessing the email server. The other option is to set-up
Server rules - which work on the emails as they arrive at the server,
irrespective of whether any computer client is actually accessing the account.
This way you do not need to worry about setting up the same client rules on
different computers.
*       Deleting the POP account can result in the loss of emails associated
with that account - that is emails which have been downloaded to your computer
and are no longer on the server - so you need to ensure that you have already
filed or otherwise saved these emails beforehand.
•       You can actually have both an IMAP account and a POP account
simultaneously accessing the mail server - though, for obvious reasons, this
would not be a normal setup!
•       As an interim measure, I found that having both IMAP account and a POP
account simultaneously active in the email client could be a convenient
changeover strategy - eg:
1)      You already have the POP account setup and emails stored "on my
computer" - temporarily change the account settings to "leave a copy of each
message on the server" and "Delete copies from the server - Never"  and disable
the automatic send and receive schedule - this has effectively disabled the POP
account without deleting it. You should probably ensure that this has been done
on all devices set-up with POP accounts
2)      Set-up a new IMAP account to access the same email account. Set-up all
your folders/filing on the email server using this IMAP account. You could also
set-up server rules at this point.
3)      Work through all your "on my computer" emails to ensure they are
suitably filed/archived - eg to your new IMAP folders.
4)      When you are happy that your new IMAP account is working fine and all
your emails have been suitably filed/archived, you can delete the POP account
from your email client.
5)      If you have any old POP email rules you can now delete these as they
are no longer effective.

You mention that you have a good email backup software - Mailer Archiver X - so
I suppose you could omit step 3 and instead use your email archive to retrieve
any emails removed when you delete the POP account - whatever works best for
you and your way of thinking/working - we are all different here!!

Just my thoughts. HTH

Cheers

Neil
--