I should add, the last time this happened with the garage remote, we had a guy
at the house replacing one of the two garage panel lift doors (that I had
reversed into I might add when I had inadvertently touched the remote in my
pocket whilst reversing out) but, the remote was rolling around in the washer
and the door was erratically going up and down part way! The guy would come
inside and ask my wife "are you opening the garage door"? And she would say,
"no, I thought you were"!!

Then it would all stop in unison with the washer having a soak period.
Eventually after he'd long gone, she worked out

A bit of a laugh, yes multi grain is best.

Pete