Hi Stephen,

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/macos-big-sur-known-issues
Some Big Sur startup volumes don't appear in the Startup Disk Preference Pane
In the past, the Startup Disk Preference Pane would list all available startup
volumes, including volumes cloned by CCC (whether CCC used ASR or its own file
copier). Some Big Sur cloned volumes do not appear in the Startup Disk
Preference Pane, despite being perfectly bootable.

We have reported this issue to Apple (FB8889774) and we are currently awaiting
a response.

Workaround: To boot from the cloned volume, restart your Mac while holding down
the Option key, then select the cloned volume in the Startup Manager. When your
Mac has completed booting, you can optionally choose to set the startup disk to
the current startup volume (i.e. if you want the Mac to always boot from the
cloned volume).

Kind Regards,
Ronni

 Ronni Brown’s iPad Pro 12.9-inch 256GB