The hard drive on my Time Capsule died about 18 months ago, but the TC is still
working fine as a WiFi hub. I was using the hard drive as my Time Machine disk.
I have since replaced it with a 5Gb external USB Drive, but the WiFi is working
as well as ever.

The heat over the past few days did have an effect on my iMac though -
yesterday morning iStat Menus told me the CPU was running at 95°C, which
explained why the mouse had a mind of its own and very few Safari extensions
were working properly, and I couldn’t connect to my Bluetooth headphones.
Turned it all off overnight  and everything is back to a normal 50-60°C today.
Could have cooked bacon with it yesterday.

> On 28 Dec 2021, at 4:13 pm, Adam Lippiatt <adam.lippi...@me.com> wrote:
>
> For what it is worth, I just bought a second hand airport extreme on ebay and
> I love the ease of setup.  I already have an older time capsule whose hard
> disk is still spinning away for all of these years.
>> On 28 Dec 2021, at 11:44 am, gary dorn <gd...@me.com <mailto:gd...@me.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> hello WAMUG
>>
>> The heat over the last few days seems to have killed our 2012 Time Capsule,
>> which we use to have a home Wifi network to connect all our devices too -
>> phones, apple tv, macbook air and a printer. this time capsule was connected
>> to a SouthernPhone wifi router for internet access.
>>
>> symptom is  - no light (can hear and feel hardisk spinning)
>>      no home network connections via Wifi
>>
>> is there suggested replacement for this.
>>
>> We previously just used an Airport base station - which I have now
>> reconnected to use in the mean time - but it tends to be a bit flaky and
>> slow.

Kind regards,

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948