Hi Tim

There’s probably a few ways you could tackle this (And others may have some
other options),..but the way’s I would think of doing it would be as follows -
(And this can depend on how many albums and things you have).

1. You could do as you mention, and stop it sharing with iCloud then start it
again. But sometimes this can look like it’ll take ages to stop and restart it.

2. Duplicate the whole “Photo Library” in your Pictures folder. Once duplicated
you can rename it to something like “Photo Library Archive”. Then open this new
one you’ve just made and remove all the current photos you have in your iCloud
Library (the main one). And delete all the new photos. This will make this one
your “archived” old photos. So nothing new in this one.
Then open your “main” library and remove all the old photos from this one, just
keeping the new ones you want.
This would then give you two Libraries. Library A being the “main one synced
with iCloud” and Library B being the Archived photos. Both would then be
different sizes.

3. Create a new Library and call it say Photo Library 2022.
From your main Library create a Smart Album with the criteria of photos from
01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022.
Export all these photos out into a folder. Then import them all into the new
Photo Library 2022. Once all there you can then delete them from the “main
Library”.
Repeat this for other years. Eg Photo Library 2021. Another Smart Album with
date range 01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021.
And so on for each other year.
Once finished you’ll then have lots of Photo Library <yearname> and your “main”
Photo Library (Sharing with iCloud). Each would be a smaller library and lots
of them. And can be opened and saved to external drives.

4. Another option I haven’t thought of yet? The above are the main ones that
come to mind off the top of my head anyway,….

Of course, with any of this,…make sure you have 2 copies backed up everywhere
before (and after?) you start as well, so if anything goes wrong you’ve got
things to go back to.

Hope something there may help?

Kind regards
Daniel

---
Daniel Kerr
MacWizardry

p : 0414 795 960
e : <daniel AT macwizardry.com.au>
w : <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>

**For everything Apple**

NOTE: Any information provided in this email may be my personal opinion and as
such should be taken accordingly, and may not be the views of MacWizardry. Any
information provided does not offer or warrant any form of warranty or accept
liability. It would be appreciated that if any information in this email is to
be disseminated, distributed or copied, that permission by the author be
requested.