The Middle East's Leading English Language Daily

Saturday, 31, December, 2005 (30, Dhul Qa`dah, 1426)

Arab News —

JEDDAH, 31 December 2005 — Many Saudis are preparing to celebrate New Year’s
Eve with billions of people across the world. As a result of official
restrictions, they observe Christmas and New Year’s secretly, often traveling
abroad.

According to Al-Majalla magazine, a sister publication of Arab News, the Saudis
insist that participating in such celebrations is essential to change the wrong
impression about Islam and Muslims.

Saudis officially celebrate two religious festivals: Eid Al-Fitr and Eid
Al-Adha. The government recently declared Sept. 23, the Kingdom’s National Day,
a public holiday.

Saudis started celebrating New Year’s and Christmas only a few decades ago,
especially after many of them started going to the United States and Europe for
education. The presence of thousands of non-Muslim foreign workers in the
Kingdom was another reason.

Many Saudis working abroad come to the Kingdom to spend Christmas and New Year.

Saudis also exchange greetings and gifts between friends and relatives within
and outside the Kingdom on these occasions.

“While many Saudis go abroad to celebrate New Year, there are others who
observe them inside their homes,” Al-Majalla said.

A Saudi executive, Abdullah, said he did not find anything wrong in celebrating
Christmas and New Year’s. “In fact, we Muslims have to deal with these
occasions in a realistic manner in order to remove the wrong impressions about
Islam and Muslims after the 9/11 events,” he said.

Abdullah, who went to the US for higher studies in 1976, said he was impressed
by the good character and conduct of his American friends. “They invited me to
celebrate Christmas and New Year’s and I invited them to celebrate Eid Al-Fitr
and Eid Al-Adha. Some 25 years have passed after my return to the Kingdom, but
I still receive greetings from my friends on Eid Al-Fitr and Eid-Adha,” he
said.

“It was quite natural that I reciprocated by sending them greetings on their
special occasions, such as Christmas. I also send them bouquets of flowers on
these occasions. I know that many friends and colleagues do the same. This, I
believe, will have a positive effect on my non-Muslim friends,” he added.

Abdullah, however, emphasized that participation in such celebrations had not
affected his faith. “No American had asked me to embrace his religion.
Throughout my stay in the US, they respected my faith and religious
sentiments,” he said.

Nasser, another Saudi, said he would be embarrassed to come home on New Year’s
Eve without a gift for his Filipino maid, who has been with his family for
eight years. “She participates in our Eids and in fact she prepares our Eid
meal,” he added. “In the past, I allowed her to celebrate New Year with her
family back home. This year we have decided to celebrate New Year’s together
because of my conviction that there is nothing wrong in doing so,” Nasser said.

For Salman, celebrating New Year’s is like celebrating any other occasion.
“Billions of people celebrate New Year, so why do we keep ourselves away from
such an international celebration?” he asked.

Noura, a Saudi woman, said she has been celebrating New Year’s with her husband
and children for several years, either abroad or within their house.

Saad said he started celebrating Christmas and New Year’s after having
non-Muslim friends.

“I get invitations to attend such parties,” Saad said. “People hold such
celebrations secretly for fear of the religious police. “Because of the raids
on places where the festivities are held, I’ve stopped attending them.”

Copyright: Arab News © 2003 All rights reserved. Site designed by: arabix and