http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20060212.C01&irec=1

Gadis Arivia on pornography, philosophy

A. Junaidi, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

"Gender influences all aspects of life -- arts, politics, culture and
economy," says feminist thinker Gadis Arivia of University of
Indonesia's (UI) school of philosophy.

Gadis, who is also co-founder and former chief editor of Jurnal
Perempuan feminist magazine, told The Jakarta Post in a recent
interview that gender bias and discrimination against women was also
found in education and sciences, including philosophy.

"Many philosophers should be held responsible for the current
discrimination against women. Their discriminative thoughts have been
applied to many aspects of life," said the mother of two children,
Anissa Joice and Benyamin Arif, from her American husband Rick Polard.

Born in New Delhi on Sept. 4, 1964, Gadis is not new to philosophical
thinking, feminism and women's right movement in Indonesia.

Two years ago, she released her first book, Filsafat Berperspektif
Feminis (Philosophy with Feminist Perspective), which was based on her
doctoral dissertation at UI. Philosopher Franz Magnis-Suseno once
encouraged people interested in philosophy to read the book.

Gadis, who obtained her master's degree from the Ecole Haute Etudes
Scietifique Sociale in France, was once arrested and tried for an
illegal rally protesting against shortage of infant milk during the
last days of Soeharto's era in February 1998.

"Academicians should be involved in the real problems of society,"
argued Gadis, who claims to have been influenced by French philosopher
Jacques Derrida. "Silence is golden, one proverb says, but voicing out
(our ideas) is better, especially for women who have been silenced for
years."

During the interview, Gadis, who is planning to launch another book in
March, talked about various issues -- politics, economy, culture,
body, sexuality and pornography. "We don't need a bill on pornography
and pornographic acts," she said firmly.

The House of Representatives is now deliberating a controversial bill
against pornography and pornographic acts. Do you think we need a law
on pornography?

According to me, we don't need a law on pornography. We already have a
criminal code which is adequate. Moreover, in the bill, there is no
clear definition of pornography, eroticism or sexuality. Those three
terms are very different. If we look at the sanctions stipulated in
the bill, many women would fall victim to the regulation. The bill
regulates (women) on how to dress and behave, which will cost women a
lot. According to me the bill is not useful at all.

Furthermore, the bill curtails the development of arts and culture in
the country.

Theoretically, among feminist theorists, there are two different camps
-- one supports and the other rejects pornography?

There is the McKinnon camp (Chaterine McKinnon, a law professor of
Chicago University) that is anti-pornography. But the camp never
proposed any law to ban pornography. It just suggests on the level of
regulation, which should carry more limitations. McKinnon is often
included in the radical cultural feminist camp.

The other camp is called the radical libertarian feminist. Both camps,
however, agree that regulations have to be established to ban
pornography for children.

They agreed that people who have business in pornography -- writings
or pictures -- should be highly taxed. In so doing, people would think
twice before entering into the business. Any regulation should state
that pornography could only be accessed by people 18 years and older
and that it should only be sold in certain places.

But the current bill on pornography only targets women. It also
suggests a supervisory agency that will be funded by the state budget
or local government. Do we need such an agency? It would be better if
such funds were allocated to health or education.

Moral standards are used more in the bill..."

It seems that moral reasons are used in the bill, but it has an
arbitrary definition of moral. What kind of morality is used in the
draft? It relates to how women should dress up and behave. It does not
regulate men wearing tight pants or being half naked. Clearly, the
target is women.

Many women, if not all, would go bankrupt because the bill carries
heavy penalties of between Rp 50 million and Rp 1 billion for
offenders. It's no secret that our country is one of the most corrupt
in the world. We can already predict that the law would become fertile
ground for corruption. It would be better for offenders to bribe
officers Rp 1 million than to pay the heavy penalty.

How can the use of words such as vagina, penis, sexual and intercourse
be considered pornographic?

Could the literary works of Ayu Utami and Djenar Maesa Ayu become
victims of the bill?

Education is critically important in reading literary works. One has
to be taught how to interpret signs critically. People should not use
a dualistic way of thinking. They should not conclude that there is a
fire when they see smoke. Probably, it's just a barbecue.

People should use a triadic way of thinking that requires
contemplation and process. People who view Djenar's works as
pornographic are people who use the dualistic way of thinking, without
a contemplation and process. I've read Djenar's book many times and I
never get sexually aroused.

Actually, language is neutral. The problem is on how you use those
words. The book Vagina Monologues (a famous play written by Eve
Ensler) tells of how women were being alienated from the word vagina
from generation to generation. The generation did not know the meaning
of the word, their own body. Violence happens when we repress the
language.

So, that's why I teach my daughter to use the word vagina, instead of
other words. I hope that she will get complete information.

Certain groups think that the bill will protect women from violence,
including rape. What's your comment.

According to me, the argument is not valid. In Arab countries where
women wear clothes that cover them from head to toe, the number of
rape cases is still very high. The problem is not dress, but on the
understanding and how we educate our people.

There is a theory on sexuality by (Sigmund) Freud which says that when
sexuality is being repressed, society become sicker. In the early 20th
century, sexual education was introduced in an effort to make a
healthier society.

I don't know if there are any political concessions for conservative
groups in the deliberation of the bill. I think bills on health and
human trafficking are more important.

The Indonesia edition of Playboy magazine will be published soon. What
is your comment?

Many local media, such as Popular magazine and several tabloids, carry
pornographic pictures. Is it just a symptom of imitation?.

I once read a Playboy magazine. They carried articles on sex which
were informative. My position is the same -- if we repress it
(sexuality), it will create chaos.

We'd better look at the reality. We manage the facts (pornography) and
make it productive. We should give a special place (for pornographic
materials), instead of defying or condemning it.

How do you see local mass media in terms of coverage on pornography
and violence?

Media cannot be held totally responsible for the problems the country
is facing. They are just one of the pillars. In the current
information era, the media seem to lose control, but there should be
truth that can serve as 'a common ground' which must be respected. I
disagree on the idea of establishing a censorship agency.

I agree that people should develop their critical thinking. So, they
could select media which is suitable for them. This is the importance
of institutions, including educational institutions.

Media coverage on violence could be educative. Media should be
critical and not write in a sensational way. Journalism with empathy
is needed here.

Many laws, bills and bylaws discriminate against women. How do you see
them?

In the past, during the New Order era (of former president Soeharto),
we thought that the concept of regional autonomy was a 'magic word' in
Indonesia. But we never thought or took into account that regional
leaders were not ready to carry out regional autonomy. They don't have
deep understandings of democracy, transparency and human rights. We
should prepare the leadership first.

So, the bylaws, and the excessive application of Islamic sharia which
may harm human rights, should not occur.

It's because the low participation of women in local politics?

It's not the low participation of women. Based on our research in nine
cities across the country, women's voices are just not listened to.
They were not being involved in decision making. They were not
invited. One of the examples is the approval of Qonun (bylaw) in Aceh.
The women protested.

It's because of the strong patriarchal culture in local government.
So, women are considered unnecessary to be involved in (political)
decisions.

The Bill on citizenship is also controversial, especially regarding
mixed marriage. What's your comment?

It clearly violates the principles of CEDAW (Convention on the
Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, adopted in
1979 by the UN General Assembly). I could not think why the bill was
proposed by the Supreme Court, instead of by civil society or the
House of Representatives.

In hearings at the House, the Supreme Court argued that the bill aims
to protect women from foreign men by requiring them to pay deposit of
US$50,000. It's illogical and unacceptable.

Women's groups want that their children be allowed to have dual
citizenship. Women married to foreign men want to be able to sponsors
their husbands to find jobs here. Indonesian men can sponsor their
wives, so why not Indonesian women for their husbands?

Why do we often think about the amount of money. In a meeting, the
Supreme Court said the money was aimed to protect women from domestic
violence. But it's a weak argument. Domestic violence happens in
marriages among Indonesians too.

By the way, after writing book 'Philosophy with Feminist Perspective',
do you have any plan to write more books soon?

Hopefully, my new book will be released in March. It's the result of
my ten years of involvement in feminism. It's a compilation of my
thoughts on politics, economy, culture, body, sexuality and family.
It's in the editing phase. Through the book, I want to say that gender
influences all aspects of life. The title of the book is Feminisme
Sebuah Kata Hati (Feminism, A Heart Word). It's because the writings
are more on words from heart than the brain. There is sensitivity.
There are more personal experiences.

Is there significant difference between philosophy with feminist
perspective and mainstream philosophy that we read in books.

Mainstream philosophy focuses more on ethics of justice which starts
with liberalism, the thought of John Rawls (a philosopher at Harvard
University and author of A Theory of Justice). We learned from
Soeharto's era that justice on economy and distribution was not
enough. There are problems of culture and marginal voices. There is a
need for politics of recognition. During Soeharto's era, different
cultures and languages were not recognized.

Current problems related to immigrants in the Netherlands and France
also related to the politics of recognition. Justice is not only in
terms of economy and distribution.

But we should be careful with the politics of recognition because we
could fall into fundamentalism. Placing my culture as different to
your culture could be dangerous. Theorists say that culture is dynamic
and is changing all the time.

The theorists think about post-nationalism, cosmopolitanism, but it's
still a discourse. It's against state-sponsored nationalism. We called
it banal nationalism. I always believe in the importance of balanced
politics of recognition.

The doctorate program on philosophy at the University of Indonesia has
been closed down, prompting one student to stage a hunger strike. Why?"

It's an administrative thing. We should have fulfilled the
accreditation requirements (from the Ministry of National Education).
So many sheets have to be filled in. But with the university's full
autonomy, the program will soon resume.

Yes, I knew about the hunger strike (conducted by Adriana Venny, chief
editor of Jurnal Perempuan feminist magazine). I supported the strike.
Venny dropped out because she could not pay the tuition fees when she
took leave. She gave birth. Her baby was sick and she could not pay
the fees. But her parents-in-law finally lent her money, but she found
that she had been dropped without any notice. But finally, the
university rector allowed Venny to continue her doctorate program.

Bias and discrimination against women are often found in education and
sciences, including philosophy. What's your view? Who is your favorite
philosopher?

Philosophers, old and modern, are responsible for bias and
discrimination against women. Aristotle and Plato were very
discriminative against women. But post-modern philosophers, many of
them were women, question the 'old philosophy'.

Many philosophers influenced me. They liberate our way of thinking.
One of them, probably Derrida (French philosopher Jacques Derrida) who
introduced ethics of 'deconstruction' which should take the side of
marginal people. According to Derrida, academicians should involve
themselves in settling the problems of the world. Derrida passed away
(on Oct. 8, 2004). Finally, he was 'deconstructed' by God. He...he...he..

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/aYWolB/TM

This mailing list has a special spell casted to reject any attachment ....
Yahoo! Groups Links