http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20060309.F05&irec=7

Reflection of incapability

A thousand methods can be used to conceal incompetence. The imposition
of sharia bylaws by several local governments is a striking example.
It is based on the assumption that unless the growing moral decadence
is fixed soon, God will punish us more severely.

Natural disasters, which have afflicted this country recently, are
often associated with God's punishment. That rationality, I think, is
based on abstract concepts which don't touch on the real problems
faced by our society, such as corruption, poverty, malnutrition,
unemployment, poor public services, etc. It is even possible that the
imposition of sharia bylaws is deliberately done to fend off criticism
of the incompetence of local governments.

Meanwhile, the imposition of sharia bylaws also means that we overlook
the multicultural characteristics of our society. Therefore, it's
imperative to revoke the sharia bylaws, because they will not improve
conditions, but will only cause tension among our people.

KAFI HANDIKO
Jakarta

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/aYWolB/TM

This mailing list has a special spell casted to reject any attachment ....
Yahoo! Groups Links