http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=110669&d=8&m=6&y=2008&pix=kingdom.jpg&category=Kingdom

Sunday 8 June 2008 (03 Jumada al-Thani 1429)

      Women Outnumber Men Who Memorized Qur'an in Asyah
      Khaled Al-Awadh, Arab News

      BURAIDAH, 8 June 2008 - Twenty Holy Qur'an memorizers were honored at a
special function held in a mosque in Al-Asyah, 65 kilometers east of Buraidah,
recently. The event was sponsored by Al-Asyah Philanthropic Society.

      For the first time in the history of Al-Asyah Society for Memorizing the
Holy Qur'an, women graduates outnumbered men graduates: 11 women memorized the
entire Qur'an this year against nine men.

      The graduates received cash prizes and certificates from Imam Muhammad
ibn Saud Islamic University. There are 12 Qur'an schools for women run by the
Al-Asyah Philanthropic Society.

      "In Buraidah, there are more than 30 schools for women," said Ali ibn
Mohammad Al-Ajlan, general director of the Ministry of Islamic Affairs' branch
in the city.

      Citing the criticism of some writers on the role of Qur'an memorization
societies, Sulaiman ibn Abdulrahman Al-Rubei, the head of Qassim Holy Qur'an
Philanthropic Society played down such propaganda and described the Qur'an
memorization societies as "strong, solid and clean."

      Al-Rubei pointed out that the number of graduates of these societies
reached 2,300 in Qassim alone. "Qur'an schools for girls have reached 130
schools in the region," he added. The number of students at Al-Asyah Society
alone has reached about 1,600. They belong to 94 groups in different mosques in
Al-Asyah.

      More than 150 students have memorized the Qur'an and now lead prayers in
local mosques or work as teachers. The society has established 12 centers for
women with more than 530 students.

      Among the graduates honored is Amanullah Wali Al-Rahman Khan, a
12-year-old Indian student who memorized the entire Qur'an. Amanullah's sister,
Asmaa, is one of the 11 women graduates who were honored at the function.

      "I thank God for helping me to memorize the Holy Qur'an at this young
age. It is a great pride and at the same time a big responsibility. I thank
everyone who has helped me to achieve this goal, including my parents and
teachers," the boy said.