http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/08/microsoft_expands_office_anti-.html?wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

Microsoft Expands Office Anti-Piracy Program

Microsoft expanded its anti-piracy program this week, shipping a new software
update that checks whether Office users are running a licensed or pirated
version of the productivity suite.

Windows users who have Automatic Updates turned on probably have by now noticed
at least one new update available from Redmond. The patch represents the next
phase of the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) anti-piracy pilot program Microsoft
launched last year. Microsoft says the update is being gradually rolled out to
different countries, so the update will not be available to everyone at the
same time.

The program checks against Office XP, Office 2003, and Office 2007
installations.

Even users who have Automatic Updates set to download and install patches for
them will need to approve a license agreement before the OGA patch will fully
install. That's a good thing, too, because according to Microsoft, this patch
cannot be removed once it is installed. Also, there is no option to temporarily
stop the nag messages, should a system fail the anti-piracy test.

If the validation program thinks an installation of one of these titles is not
legit, it will display a message saying:

  This copy of Microsoft Office is not genuine.

  Please excuse this interruption. This copy of Microsoft Office did not pass
validation. Click Learn More for details and for help identifying the best way
to get genuine Microsoft Office.

In addition, the OGA checker will add a toolbar with a similar message to
Office XP and Office 2003 versions that are detected as unlicensed, and a
ribbon with an alert to that effect on Office 2007 systems.

My installation of Windows Vista also let me know about another non-security
related update: Microsoft says this update changes the Windows time zone data
to accommodate daylight saving time (DST) changes in several countries.

By Brian Krebs  |  August 26, 2009; 10:22 AM ET
Categories:  From the Bunker , Latest Warnings , New Patches , Piracy  | Tags:
office genuine advantage oga anti-piracy
Share This:  E-Mail | Technorati | Del.icio.us | Digg | Stumble
Previous: Businesses Reluctant to Report Online Banking Fraud
Next: U.K. Govt: Spammers Before Downloaders?

Comments

The black hats out there are no doubt putting together a "patch" that will
eliminate OGA. Of course, in exchange for this favor, you will receive a
package of Trojans, backdoors, and other malicious software. As OGA is killed,
the real payload will install behind your back.

At some point, I can see OGA being upgraded by Microsoft to "Office Genuine
Removal and Enforcement" or O.G.R.E. If OGRE detects an unauthorized Office
installation, the pirated copy is removed and a special registry key added to
prevent reinstallation.

Posted by: taskforceken | August 26, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Why on earth would anyone install this or WGA? This is exactly why I approve
all updates manually. It doesn't take long, and I unchecked this one and
checked "Don't remind me again" hours ago, before I had a chance to be
forewarned.

Posted by: MaxH | August 26, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I also do a custom installation of ALL updates, least WGA or now this new OGA
get downloaded by accident.

Again, my machine came with a genuine version of Windows XP Home and one of my
employers installed 'their' corporate edition of XP Pro.

Then along came WGA and back then I was automatically downloading AND
installing updates. Microsoft advised me after I called about my 'less than
genuine' copy of XP Pro that apparently the employer had either over-installed
the product, or some had copied it and the copies had been installed on a
clearly excessive number of machines. I had allegedly 2 choices, namely pay up
for a 'genuine certification' or remove XP Pro and do a complete reinstall of
EVERYTHING. The third option of system restore [that wasn't mentioned]
fortunately removed WGA.

My updates this morning were supposedly only 2 and neither indicated anything
to do with genuine anything. I would simply go ahead and pay Microsoft the $160
[or whatever it was] but at some point I will probably have to purchase a
genuine copy of Windows 7, along with a new machine to run it on.

After reading all the comments about Apple vs. Microsoft, including those of IT
Pros that work with Windows, Linus, etc. all day long, but who enjoy the ease
of having an Apple to go home to, I guess that could be a possibility, as is
Ubuntu 9.04, but for some reason the copy that I downloaded of the Ubuntu Web
site would not install correctly, so for now its XP Pro.

Posted by: brucereal...@gmail.com | August 26, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

//continued//

Obviously I meant Linux, not Linus above.

Posted by: brucereal...@gmail.com | August 26, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Using Microsoft's stuff is a matter of free choice. Alternatives are available.
Microsoft's legitimate customers, who paid for the advantage that Microsoft's
quality software gave them, have seen that advantage eroded by pirates enjoying
the same quality for free. Piracy of Microsoft Office has also robbed the
free-of-charge OpenOffice.org of the mindshare that fuels its plodding
improvement and slowly-growing acceptance. Thus, while the public should
applaud the restoration of a fair market, it is not clear that Microsoft will
put a bite behind the bark.

Posted by: amturnip | August 26, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse