Refleksi : Diberitakan bahwa Belgia juga akan melarang wanita memakai tutup
muka di tempat umum.  Larangan seperti ini bukan baru, sebab waktu Mustafa
Kemal Ataturk melakukan reformasi  di Turki pada tahun 1920-an, yaitu setelah
runtuhnya kekuasaan Sultan Otoman,  wanita dibebaskan dari kewajiban pemakain
cador, burkha, jilbab, teristimewa pada instansi negara termasuk militer dan
lembanga pendidikan. Peraturan di Turki tetap berlaku hingga kini.

Di Iran pun demikian halnya pada tahun 1930 raja Pahlevi  membolehkan wanita
tidak memakai cador, jilbab dan burka etc. Tetapi, kemudian setelah Imam
Khomeini kembali dari tempat pengasihannya di Paris, Prerancis, sesuai apa yang
dinamakan revolusi islamiah maka diwajibkan kembali wanita memakai  jilbab,
nikap etc  bila keluar rumah, dan kalau wanita keluar rumah harus dikawali
orang laki dari keluraga (tukan tunangan atau calon suami). Sekarang peraturan
ini agak dilonggarkan.

Di Afghanistan kewajiban pemakaian burkha, jilbab etc di luar rumah lebih
intensif diberlakukan setelah Taliban berkuasa.

 Anda tentu mengetahui  sejarah  dan proses jilbab, cador etc diberlakukan di
NKRI.

http://www.kuwaittimes.net/read_news.php?newsid=MTE5NTQ1NDc2NA==

France to ban niqab from public spaces
Published Date: April 22, 2010

PARIS: The French government will ban Muslim women from wearing a full-face
veil in public, despite a warning from experts that such a law could be
unconstitutional, it announced yesterday. The spokesman for President Nicolas
Sarkozy's government said a bill would be presented to ministers in May and
would seek to ban the niqab and the burqa from streets, shops and markets and
not just from public buildings. "We're legislating for the future. Wearing a
full veil is a sign of a community closing in on itsel
f and of a rejection of our values," Luc Chatel told reporters, on leaving a
cabinet meeting chaired by Sarkozy.

It's a transgression, an aggression even, on the level of personal liberty,"
said Abdellatif Lemsibak, a member of the National Federation of Muslims of
France. "The Muslims have the right to an orthodox expression of their religion
... it shocks me." Last month, the State Council - France's top administrative
authority - warned Sarkozy against a full ban on the veil, suggesting instead
an order that women uncover their faces for security checks or meetings with
officials. "It appears to the State Council
that a general and absolute ban on the full veil as such can have no
incontestable judicial basis," it said, suggesting a full ban could be declared
unconstitutional and overturned in court.

Prime Minister Francois Fillon insisted the government would go ahead anyway,
taking the risk that the eventual text would be struck down by the
constitutional court, because of the importance of the issue. "If we are
convinced that it's a question of human dignity we can't let ourselves be
over-cautious about respecting laws that are no longer appropriate for today's
society," he said. "We have to develop the jurisprudence of the constitutional
court and of the European Court of Human Rights in order to c
onfront a new question that no-one was asking 20 years ago.

There is strong support in parliament for such a ban and the government is
determined to press on with a law, which it says would affect only around 2,000
Muslim French women who currently cover their faces. According to Chatel,
Sarkozy told his cabinet the veil was an "assault on women's dignity". Most
Muslim women, in France's immigrant communities and around the world, do not
wear a full veil, but the niqab, which covers the face apart from the eyes, is
widely worn on the Arabian peninsula and in the Gu
lf states. The burqa, a shapeless full-body cloak that covers the face with a
fabric grille, is worn in some areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Muslim scholars differ in their interpretation of the Quran's rules on what
constitutes modest dress, and many argue veils are a cultural tradition rather
than a religious obligation. In France, the garments are widely identified with
fundamentalist strains of Islam and with the repression of women in some
communities, and politicians accuse radical clerics of promoting their use.
"We're not going to let this phenomenon drift," Chatel said. France's neighbour
Belgium is also preparing legislation, and coul
d become the first European country to ban the full veil when a bill goes
before parliament during a plenary session from today.

In France the idea of banning the veil has won support from across the
political spectrum. Members of Sarkozy's right-wing UMP party have been pushing
him to enact tough legislation, but left-wing lawmakers were also among those
who welcomed the decision to draft the law. An association set up to defend the
rights of women in France's immigrant ghettos - "Neither Whores Nor
Submissives" - hailed Sarkozy's decision as a "victory for women".

I ask lawmakers to have the courage to back a law to protect and free women.
Let's hear the voices of those who are fighting green fascism," said chairwoman
Sihem Habchi, referring to the traditional colour of Islam. Outside France,
North African militants with ties to Al-Qaeda have threatened attacks on French
interests if the law is passed and US President Barack Obama has made it clear
he does not support Europe's moves. - Agencies