http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\04\27\story_27-4-2010_pg3_2

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

 What we are confronting in Pakistan and the Muslim world in general is a clash
between scientific knowledge and religious quackery. The Christian West has had
its share of scientists who were ostracised, banished or even executed for
challenging the Creation theory

An Iranian cleric, Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, has proclaimed a fatwa (ruling)
that earthquakes are caused by women dressing immodestly. Why the earth should
feel so excited and out of control by such provocation instead of men such as
the high-level Shia cleric is a question that comes to mind rather immediately.
However, Kazem Sedighi informs us that it is because God Almighty is very angry
and hence the earthquake. Not very long ago, a terrible earthquake hit Iran. It
claimed thousands of lives. As far as I know, the chador covering the whole
body is a mandatory dress in the paradise of the ayatollahs, so why were pious
Iranian men and women and indeed thousands of children annihilated in that
earthquake?

I remember when a devastating earthquake hit northern Pakistan, especially Azad
Kashmir, similar fatwas were issued by some Pakistani clerics, though on that
occasion it was more a general list of crimes rather than just women dressing
immodestly. It was the general decline of moral standards of Muslims. The
argument was that since Pakistanis do not adhere to true Islam, God has
expressed His displeasure by ordering an earthquake to remind misguided Muslims
that He is the Sovereign of the whole universe and His will must be obeyed.

On that occasion, I wrote an op-ed in which I pointed out that among the
thousands who perished under falling debris were several hundred children of
very tender age who were attending a Quran school. Just when the earthquake
struck their school, they were reciting the sacred scriptures. So, how could
one make sense of such indiscriminate punishment when both those who follow the
Almighty's will and those who did not became targets of divine wrath? Similar
articles were written by other colleagues.

Science's failure to advance knowledge about earthquakes, volcanic outbursts
and other natural calamities is, of course, partly the result of the fact that
funding for research on trips to the Moon, Mars and beyond are easier to get
than for examining things down below unless it is oil that brings great
profits. While the conquest of space is undoubtedly very exciting and
exploration in outer space is part of the prestige building endeavours of
modern states - China and India being the most recent to take to it - what goes
on inside the belly of the earth does not provide the same excitement. So,
earthquakes will be able to wreck lives for quite some time, but I am sure one
day it would be possible to predict them in good time so that the damage to
humankind can be reduced to the minimum.

I have a feeling that once the scientists do acquire greater predictive ability
about earthquakes, the clerics will shift their focus on some other issue.
Mullahs and priests of other religions do not any longer open their mouth on
plague, smallpox and other such epidemics, which once ravaged millions of lives
because either these 'divine curses' have been eradicated, for example
smallpox, or their ability to harm has been severely limited, as in the case of
plague. The last time one heard of plague was somewhere in Surat, India, and
that too in areas where the poorest of the people live - usually Dalits and
others.

What we are confronting in Pakistan and the Muslim world in general is a clash
between scientific knowledge and religious quackery. The Christian West has had
its share of scientists who were ostracised, banished or even executed for
challenging with different theories and discoveries the Creation theory of the
origins and structure of the universe. In our wonderful neighbour, India, the
BJP government's minister for science and technology, Shri Murli Manohar Joshi,
wanted to introduce astrology and related pseudo-sciences such as numerology
and palmistry as subjects that could be read at the university level. I am not
sure if such a syllabus ever got approved and implemented.

In Pakistan, we have been busy distorting history with such intensity that
Pakistan's premier historian, the late KK Aziz, had to write a book carrying a
bloody true title, The Murder of History. That explains why the scope and
leisure to attack other subjects with equal vigour has been suspended thus far.
As far as I know, the teaching of chemistry has been the casualty of a rather
novel rhetorical formula. I am told that students are supposed to say that
Allah has ordained that two particles of hydrogen and one particle of oxygen
will miraculously become water.

In short, the problem is more serious than some ayatollah propounding a crazy
theory about earthquakes. Creationism is upheld as true knowledge in some parts
of the US and Darwin's explanation of the origin of species is condemned as
heresy, but as far as I know, all the Nobel prizes for physics and chemistry
have thus far gone to people who in their public life do not mix their
religious beliefs with their professional responsibilities.

Professor Abdus Salam was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1979 for his
outstanding erudition in mathematics and not because he was a highly religious
person in his private life. In Pakistan, his Ahmedi faith was considered more
significant than his achievements as a scientist. Therefore, he never received
the respect and admiration he deserved. In our scheme of things, true knowledge
comes only through true faith. That fundamental fallacy has wreaked havoc upon
the intellectual milieu of our society.

In ontological and epistemological terms, Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi's
explanation of why earthquakes take place falls into the category of claims
that are an insult to the contemporary standards and methods of scientific
inquiry, whether the study object belongs to the natural sciences or social
sciences and history.

Ishtiaq Ahmed is a Visiting Research Professor at the Institute of South Asian
Studies (ISAS) and the South Asian Studies Programme at the National University
of Singapore. He is also Professor Emeritus of Political Science at Stockholm
University. He has published extensively on South Asian politics. At ISAS, he
is currently working on a book, Is Pakistan a Garrison State? He can be reached
at isa...@nus.edu.sg