http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/muslim-inspired-fashion-on-chechen-catwalk/405129.html

Muslim-Inspired Fashion on Chechen Catwalk
Reuters

S.Dal / Reuters
Models waiting to display creations by the Arzhiyeva sisters during a fashion
show in Grozny this week. The sisters' design house is a pet project of Medni
Kadyrova, wife of Chechnya's president.

 1 of 3

GROZNY - Models in floor-length gowns of crimson and gold, their heads
downturned and framed by hijabs, showed off Eastern-inspired designs this week
to Chechnya's elite.

Heavily embroidered silk and satin frocks make up the second collection by the
Arzhiyeva sisters, who have been charged by the local government to create
traditional Chechen dress in the Muslim republic.

"We tried to incorporate Islamic dress standards into our collection, suited
for the women of the Caucasus and the East," said Laura Arzhiyeva, half of the
sibling designer duo.

Launched in October, their design house is the pet project of Medni Kadyrova,
wife of Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov.

Perched on the front row, Kadyrov and his wife enthusiastically clapped Tuesday
as 25 dark-haired Chechen models paraded the flowing dresses, which completely
cover the arms and are pinched at the waist with shimmering cords. They sell
for $3,000 a piece in Grozny's most luxurious boutique.

"To find something modest amongst European clothes shops is so difficult, this
is refreshing," said Mizana Aliyeva, 28, one of 700 guests at the show, titled
"You Are in Heaven."

While both Kadyrov and the Chechen insurgency claim Islam as their flag of
legitimacy, each reviles the other as blasphemous. But in today's Chechnya,
alcohol is all but banned, single-sex schools and gyms are becoming the norm
and women must cover their heads in government buildings.

"It is great that in our republic . trends correspond to our unique culture,"
said Iman Isayeva, 35, as she gazed at a group of girls priming their
headscarves and lip gloss in front of mirrors decorated with Chechen flags.