http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/bashir-links-to-aceh-terror-group-emerge/373693

May 07, 2010
Candra Malik & Farouk Arnaz

Police are investigating Abu Bakar Bashir, who was alleged to have once been
the spiritual head of terror network Jemaah Islamiah, and his alleged links to
the nest of terrorists training in Aceh. (Reuters Photo/Crack Palinggi)

Bashir Links to Aceh Terror Group Emerge

Tightening the net on wanted members of an armed group in Aceh, the National
Police have revealed that they arrested 12 suspects late on Thursday - and
seven were members of a group headed by hard-line Muslim cleric Abu Bakar
Bashir.

Police said on Friday that the building in Jataipadang, South Jakarta, that the
seven were seized  in was a base for Jemaah Anshorut Tawhid (JAT), founded by
Bashir.

National Police spokesman Insp. Gen. Edward Aritonang added that of the other
arrests, three were in Setu, Bekasi, east of Jakarta, and two in Central
Jakarta.

He said the suspects  were believed to have had roles including providing
logistical support and financing to the armed group that clashed with security
forces at their military training ground in rural Aceh in February.

"So they are not involved directly," Edward said, adding that their names had
come up during the questioning of  captured members of the Aceh armed group. He
declined to say whether JAT or Bashir were linked to the Aceh group, or to
identify those arrested.

But a police source told the Jakarta Globe that police had been hunting for
Mustafa, alias Abu Tholut, whom they believed acted as a bridge between Bashir
and the Aceh terror group.

Tholut is a former regional commander of terrorist network Jemaah Islamiyah, of
which Bashir is believed to be the spiritual leader. He was also a military
trainer at the Hudaibiyah camp in Mindanao, southern Philippines.

Bashir, in an exclusive interview with the Globe on Friday at the JAT
headquarters near his Al Mukmin Islamic boarding school in Ngruki, Central
Java, said he shared "an emotional closeness" with Tholut, whom he said he met
while in prison in Jakarta. Tholut, he said, had also taught at the school, on
the science of war.

Bashir founded JAT in2008 after resigning from the Indonesian Mujahideen
Council, an umbrella group pushing for Shariah law in Indonesia. The cleric
denied he had anything to do with the group in Aceh.

JAT administrator Abdurrahman said Tholut was a "non-active" JAT member.

Bashir condemned the arrests, which he said were made without warrants, and the
sealing of the building. "We give the police 48 hours to release the arrested
people and unseal the office so we can go about our business as usual," Bashir
said in a press release.

He said he only knew five of the seven men seized at the JAT premises and
believed the others were guests. "We do not know for what reason the police did
this rash action, let alone accusing us of dealing with terrorist networks."

Bashir later told the Globe: "The real target is actually me." He claimed the
United States and its allies had ordered the  Indonesian government "not to let
me live peacefully in the community."

He identified the five JAT members as Andriansyah,Yanto Fadhilah, Agus, Sholeh
and Mahali.

Related articles
I'm Real Target of Raid, Bashir Claims
12:11 AM 08/05/2010

Police Investigate Bashir's Alleged Link to Terrorists
11:10 AM 07/05/2010

Man Jailed for Harboring Noordin M Top
2:00 PM 20/04/2010

Six Terrorist Suspects Caught in Traffic Stop
12:17 AM 12/04/2010

Alleged Terrorist Claims She Wanted to Die a Martyr
1:52 PM 05/04/2010