Refleksi : Apa pendapat Anda jika di NKRI bertindak seperti di Arab Saudia
wanita dilarang mengemudi kendaraan?

http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=2&id=21106

Women Will Not Drive Cars in Saudi Arabia!

28/05/2010
By Abdul Rahman Al-Rashed

Repeated appeals to the official authorities in Saudi Arabia to put an end to
the ban on women being allowed to drive have been to no avail. Women will not
be sitting in the driver's seat anytime soon, despite a huge number of text
messages and emails calling for this by those who advocate women being
permitted to drive.

All campaigns to remedy this situation have failed, and in my opinion this is
as a result of a mistake being made by attempting to take a shortcut with
regards to convincing the government to change its position on this issue. I
personally believe that it is impossible to convince any government, regardless
of one's influence, of something without there first being widespread public
acceptance of the idea. Those who oppose this idea base their opposition on the
official rejection of this, as well as on religious and social aspects as well.
It may be difficult for others, by which I mean those outside of Saudi Arabia,
to believe that a large proportion of Saudi Arabian men and women are against
the idea of women driving cars, especially as this is something normal and
ordinary to them, and women also ride donkeys, horses, and camels. Those
outside of Saudi Arabia believe that this ban exists in opposition to the will
of the public, but we do not know if this is true, in light of the lack of
polling information to reveal public opinion on this issue.

Lately efforts have been focused on convincing the government to put an end to
the ban, and to keep pace with the rest of the world. However this is not a
smart bet, as it is the policy of all governments in the world to avoid taking
unnecessary risks and refrain from swimming against the stream. Those who cite
the example of Rosa Parks, the African-American civil rights activist who
refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white passenger in defiance of
racially discriminative laws at the time, fail to understand that change does
not take place after just one incident. The woman in question was arrested, and
buses remain segregated for a long time afterwards. However what was important
was rallying public opinion against this [discriminative law].

Is the problem in Saudi Arabia more complex than the race problem in the US?
Perhaps the mistake lies in the 40-year delay in issuing the decision
recognizing a woman's right to drive as back then this was neither an issue nor
a demand however it gradually became a custom then a law.

Despite this, today there are more than a few clerics who acknowledge the right
of women to drive. There is also a growing proportion of society that supports
this idea; however there is a large percentage of Saudi Arabians who are still
concerned, scared, sceptical, and oppose change. The ban on women driving has
become something of a symbol for them, and the government is attempting to take
the middle path, as it does not want to impose change from above.

It would be much easier to impose this from above if there was sufficient
public support for this idea. However is there truly public support towards
ending the ban on women driving? Nobody knows. The general impression is no,
but we might be wrong. When we say "public support" we do not mean in the
democratic concept of a "slim majority" or "51 percent" but rather what we
require is an overwhelming majority.

Why is it important to secure an overwhelming majority? Since when have
decisions been taken in accordance with opinion polls? An overwhelming majority
is beneficial in this case as it would allow the idea to become reality with
only a little official push. A slim majority on the other hand would result in
bitter social and political division. Feeling the pulse of the general public
is the easiest way to making this decision. Many things that were socially and
officially taboo have become acceptable as an everyday reality as a result of
popularity, including satellite television, whereas today satellite dishes can
be seen on rooftops everywhere. The same applies to mobile phones with built-in
cameras; they were originally banned however this was reserved due to popular
demand.

I am certain that convincing public opinion in Saudi Arabia would be easier
than trying to push the government towards taking a decision granting women the
right to drive. The same reasons that justify the ban justify it being lifted,
as this ban has increased the number of scandals, disgraces, and losses.