Date: 2010/6/14
Subject: KUCING GARONG - U.S. Discovers Vast Riches of Minerals in
Afghanistan

Sembilan tahun "pendudukan". Dan kisah tentara Amerika di Afghanistan tak
ubahnya telenovela kucing garong. Gagah di kamera, nakal di mulut, janji
tong kosong.

Bilangnya mau menangkap SATU ORANG "biang teroris" tapi nyatanya justru
mengirim ratusan ribu pasukan tempur. Bilangnya mau menghadirkan keamanan
tapi saban malam drone membunuh orang-orang tak berdosa di desa-desa yang
gelap. Bilangnya mau menghadirkan pembangunan tapi nyatanya hanya produksi
opium yang meningkat pesat.

Kini, setelah "sukses" menjadi "market" bom-bom "cerdas" bin "presisi
tinggi" Amerika Serikat, Afghanistan jadi surga "geologist Pentagon".
Geregetan. Gemas. Ingin sekali rasanya melihat ada kartunis Indonesia yang
mengabadikan kisah "geologist Pentagon" di bawah. Ingin sekali melihat ada
kartun senakal ini: http://latuff2.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2equx3

AH

U.S. Discovers Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan
Tyler Hicks/The New York Times

A bleak Ghazni Province seems to offer little, but a Pentagon study says it
may have among the world's largest deposits of lithium.

By JAMES RISEN
Published: June 13, 2010

WASHINGTON — The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped
mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves
and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan
war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper,
cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and
include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that
Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important
mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become
the "Saudi Arabia of lithium," a key raw material in the manufacture of
batteries for laptops and Blackberries.

The vast scale of Afghanistan's mineral wealth was discovered by a small
team of Pentagon officials and American geologists. The Afghan government
and President Hamid Karzai were recently briefed, American officials said.

While it could take many years to develop a mining industry, the potential
is so great that officials and executives in the industry believe it could
attract heavy investment even before mines are profitable, providing the
possibility of jobs that could distract from generations of war.

"There is stunning potential here," Gen. David H. Petraeus, commander of the
United States Central Command, said in an interview on Saturday. "There are
a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant."

The value of the newly discovered mineral deposits dwarfs the size of
Afghanistan's existing war-bedraggled economy, which is based largely on
opium production and narcotics trafficking as well as aid from the United
States and other industrialized countries. Afghanistan's gross domestic
product is only about $12 billion.

"This will become the backbone of the Afghan economy," said Jalil Jumriany,
an adviser to the Afghan minister of mines.

American and Afghan officials agreed to discuss the mineral discoveries at a
difficult moment in the war in Afghanistan. The American-led offensive in
Marja in southern Afghanistan has achieved only limited gains. Meanwhile,
charges of corruption and favoritism continue to plague the Karzai
government, and Mr. Karzai seems increasingly embittered toward the White
House.

So the Obama administration is hungry for some positive news to come out of
Afghanistan. Yet the American officials also recognize that the mineral
discoveries will almost certainly have a double-edged impact.

Instead of bringing peace, the newfound mineral wealth could lead the
Taliban to battle even more fiercely to regain control of the country.

The corruption that is already rampant in the Karzai government could also
be amplified by the new wealth, particularly if a handful of well-connected
oligarchs, some with personal ties to the president, gain control of the
resources. Just last year, Afghanistan's minister of mines was accused by
American officials of accepting a $30 million bribe to award China the
rights to develop its copper mine. The minister has since been replaced.

Endless fights could erupt between the central government in Kabul and
provincial and tribal leaders in mineral-rich districts. Afghanistan has a
national mining law, written with the help of advisers from the World Bank,
but it has never faced a serious challenge.

"No one has tested that law; no one knows how it will stand up in a fight
between the central government and the provinces," observed Paul A.
Brinkley, undersecretary of defense and leader of the Pentagon team that
discovered the deposits.

At the same time, American officials fear resource-hungry China will try to
dominate the development of Afghanistan's mineral wealth, which could upset
the United States, given its heavy investment in the region. After winning
the bid for its Aynak copper mine in Logar Province, China clearly wants
more, American officials said.

Another complication is that because Afghanistan has never had much heavy
industry before, it has little or no history of environmental protection
either. "The big question is, can this be developed in a responsible way, in
a way that is environmentally and socially responsible?" Mr. Brinkley said.
"No one knows how this will work."

With virtually no mining industry or infrastructure in place today, it will
take decades for Afghanistan to exploit its mineral wealth fully. "This is a
country that has no mining culture," said Jack Medlin, a geologist in the
United States Geological Survey's international affairs program. "They've
had some small artisanal mines, but now there could be some very, very large
mines that will require more than just a gold pan."

The mineral deposits are scattered throughout the country, including in the
southern and eastern regions along the border with Pakistan that have had
some of the most intense combat in the American-led war against the Taliban
insurgency.

The Pentagon task force has already started trying to help the Afghans set
up a system to deal with mineral development. International accounting firms
that have expertise in mining contracts have been hired to consult with the
Afghan Ministry of Mines, and technical data is being prepared to turn over
to multinational mining companies and other potential foreign investors. The
Pentagon is helping Afghan officials arrange to start seeking bids on
mineral rights by next fall, officials said.

"The Ministry of Mines is not ready to handle this," Mr. Brinkley said. "We
are trying to help them get ready."

Like much of the recent history of the country, the story of the discovery
of Afghanistan's mineral wealth is one of missed opportunities and the
distractions of war.

In 2004, American geologists, sent to Afghanistan as part of a broader
reconstruction effort, stumbled across an intriguing series of old charts
and data at the library of the Afghan Geological Survey in Kabul that hinted
at major mineral deposits in the country. They soon learned that the data
had been collected by Soviet mining experts during the Soviet occupation of
Afghanistan in the 1980s, but cast aside when the Soviets withdrew in 1989.

During the chaos of the 1990s, when Afghanistan was mired in civil war and
later ruled by the Taliban, a small group of Afghan geologists protected the
charts by taking them home, and returned them to the Geological Survey's
library only after the American invasion and the ouster of the Taliban in
2001.

"There were maps, but the development did not take place, because you had 30
to 35 years of war," said Ahmad Hujabre, an Afghan engineer who worked for
the Ministry of Mines in the 1970s.

Armed with the old Russian charts, the United States Geological Survey began
a series of aerial surveys of Afghanistan's mineral resources in 2006, using
advanced gravity and magnetic measuring equipment attached to an old Navy
Orion P-3 aircraft that flew over about 70 percent of the country.

The data from those flights was so promising that in 2007, the geologists
returned for an even more sophisticated study, using an old British bomber
equipped with instruments that offered a three-dimensional profile of
mineral deposits below the earth's surface. It was the most comprehensive
geologic survey of Afghanistan ever conducted.

The handful of American geologists who pored over the new data said the
results were astonishing.

But the results gathered dust for two more years, ignored by officials in
both the American and Afghan governments. In 2009, a Pentagon task force
that had created business development programs in Iraq was transferred to
Afghanistan, and came upon the geological data. Until then, no one besides
the geologists had bothered to look at the information — and no one had
sought to translate the technical data to measure the potential economic
value of the mineral deposits.

Soon, the Pentagon business development task force brought in teams of
American mining experts to validate the survey's findings, and then briefed
Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and Mr. Karzai.

So far, the biggest mineral deposits discovered are of iron and copper, and
the quantities are large enough to make Afghanistan a major world producer
of both, United States officials said. Other finds include large deposits of
niobium, a soft metal used in producing superconducting steel, rare earth
elements and large gold deposits in Pashtun areas of southern Afghanistan.

Just this month, American geologists working with the Pentagon team have
been conducting ground surveys on dry salt lakes in western Afghanistan
where they believe there are large deposits of lithium. Pentagon officials
said that their initial analysis at one location in Ghazni Province showed
the potential for lithium deposits as large of those of Bolivia, which now
has the world's largest known lithium reserves.

For the geologists who are now scouring some of the most remote stretches of
Afghanistan to complete the technical studies necessary before the
international bidding process is begun, there is a growing sense that they
are in the midst of one of the great discoveries of their careers.

"On the ground, it's very, very, promising," Mr. Medlin said. "Actually,
it's pretty amazing."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world/asia/14minerals.html?hp=&pagewanted=all

Pada 16 Juni 2010 08:15, Yudi Yuliyadi <y...@geoindo.com> menulis:

> Hehe
>
> Jadi sudah jelas ternyata pak abdul antek America yang ingin menghancurkan
> islam
>
> Pakai America itulah, sesuai dengan islam lah
>
> Pak abdul, jangan terbutakan oleh dunia dan harta
>
> Memang siapa yang menciptakan otak manusia, memang siapa yang menciptkan
> dunia ini pak abdul?
>
> Coba anda berfikir jika memang anda mengaku intelektual
>
> Saya benci America, karena saya adalah muslim
>
> Dari dulu America benci dengan islam karena mereka menerapkan system kufur,
> mereka tidak mengin2kan bangkitnya kembali Negara islam yang telah berkuasa
> selama 14 abad
>
> Tapi anehnya pak abdul ini menentang hukum ALLAH dan lebih bangga dengan
> hukum buatan kafir, anda sudah tahu resiko dari ucapa bapak ini
>
> Janganlah suka memutar balikan fakta, America makmur karena menghisap
> sumber
> daya alam Negeri islam
>
> Silahkan anda berkata dengan hawa nafsu saudara dan begitu berani
> mempermainkan ayat2 ALLAH
>
> Tapi ingat wahai abdul kita akan mati, ucapan saudara nanti akan
> dipertanggung jawabkan kelak. Di pengadilan akhirat anda akan mengetahui
> sebuah kebenaran, apa yang anda katakan sekarang akan menjuadi bukti betapa
> saudara memusuhi hukum ALLAH
>
> apa benar mereka memakmurkan, atau hanya khayalan saudara abdul yang patuh
> pada America dan menyebarkan kebohongan atas nama islam yang dibalut dengan
> kemunafikan
>
> kemarin saudara mengatkan Saudi ini dan itulah tapi sekarang pak abdul
> mengatkan secara tersirat bahwa Saudi mematuhi America dengan menggunakan
> teknologinya
>
> saya benci America karena mereka adalah Negara kafir yang telah membantai
> saudaraku di afganistan, irak, iran dan palestina
>
> wahai abdul kaum yahudi dan nasrani tidak akan pernah ridha pada kita
> sampai
> kita masuk pada agamanya, sekarang waha abdul sebenarnya siapa yang harus
> berfikir, apa tidak takutkah engkau wahai Abdul pada azab ALLAH karena
> telah
> menentang syariat islam dan hukum dari ALLAH
>
> tidak malukah engkau wahai abdul karena tinggal di bumi, menghirup udara,
> punya mata, punya akal tapi mendustakan hukum ALLAH?
>
> Mari kita renungkan baik2 seperti yang pak abdul katakan.
>
> <
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wanita-muslimah/message/144642;_ylc=X3oDMTJza
>
> mhmbG9vBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE4Nzc5ODgEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDc2MjUwBG1zZ0lkA
> zE0NDY0MgRzZWMDZG1zZwRzbGsDdm1zZwRzdGltZQMxMjc2NTk3ODcx> Re: USA akan
> memakmurkan Afganistan---->kejahatan america di afganis
>
> Posted by: "abdul"
> <mailto:latifabdul...@yahoo.com <latifabdul777%40yahoo.com>
> ?Subject=%20Re%3A%20USA%20akan%20memakmurkan%
> 20Afganistan----%3Ekejahatan%20america%20di%20afganis>
> latifabdul...@yahoo.com <latifabdul777%40yahoo.com> <
> http://profiles.yahoo.com/latifabdul777>
> [...]

Milis ini tidak menerima attachment.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: