http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2002340,00.html

Afghanistan: When Women Set Themselves on Fire
By Abigail Hauslohner / Kabul Wednesday, Jul. 07, 2010

ENLARGE PHOTO+
Vasiyeh, 16, shows the scars from burns she inflicted on herself two years ago,
April 6, 2010 in Herat, Afghanistan.

Majid Saeedi / Getty Images
  a..
Fawzia felt like she had no way out. Married off to her cousin at age 16, she
had been beaten routinely by her husband and in-laws in their poor rural home
in Paktia province for the first three years of her marriage. She complained
bitterly to her parents, but no solution seemed imminent. Marriage had become
too much for her to bear. Then, after she saw her brother-in-law strike his
wife on the head with a gun, Fawzia finally did what she had threatened to do
many times before: she doused herself in cooking fuel and struck a match.

Now Fawzia (whose name has been changed because of her age) lies in a hospital
bed with third-degree burns covering 35% of her body and ash coating the
insides of her lungs. Her physician, Dr. Ahmed Shah Wazir, believes it's
unlikely that she will survive. The terrifying thing is that she is far from
the only person in Afghanistan to take such drastic action. The Ministry of
Women's Affairs has documented a total of 103 women who set themselves on fire
between March 2009 and March 2010. No one knows what the real numbers are,
given the difficulty of collecting data in the country. "More than 80% [who try
to kill themselves in this way] cannot be saved," says Wazir, who runs the burn
unit at Kabul's Istiqlal Hospital, one of only two such specialized wards in
Afghanistan. (See pictures of Muslim women leading a soft revolution.)

Wazir believes that most of his would-be patients never make it to the
hospital. In some cases, families are too ashamed or fearful of prosecution to
report what happened. "There are many such cases where, because of honor,
because of the media, [the families] don't want to disclose it," says Selay
Ghaffar, director of the Kabul-based NGO Humanitarian Assistance for the Women
and Children of Afghanistan (HAWCA). "I'm sure there are many, many cases that
are still invisible." "I have seen a number of instances of women setting
themselves on fire in my life," says Fawzia's mother, wiping away tears. She
insists that there is nothing unusual about her daughter. "Four months ago,
someone else from our village lit herself on fire and died." (See a 2001 TIME
story on how women fared under the Taliban.)

In recent years, the dramatic suicide method employed by women in this war-torn
country has drawn wide attention, amid speculation that the trend might be
growing. Some, like Wazir, blame Iranian TV and cinema for romanticizing
suicide by fire. (For example, in the 2002 movie Bemani, a girl uses
self-immolation to escape a forced marriage.) He points out that many of his
patients, including Fawzia, are refugees who have returned from Iran. Other
observers argue that the practice has long existed as a method by which Afghan
women try to escape their sorrows and that improved monitoring since the fall
of the Taliban has only made it more prominent in public awareness. The Afghan
government, however, says that in the past five years, the numbers have dropped.

Nevertheless, the act remains both common and poorly understood, with
relatively few resources devoted to its prevention. "There are seven safe
houses in Afghanistan that protect victims of [domestic] violence," says
Ghaffar, whose organization runs one such institution, an advice hotline and
several legal-aid centers. But she says most of the country - particularly in
the volatile south and east - remains woefully devoid of any services. "There
is not a single safe house, and no legal-aid center," says Ghaffar of these
regions. "There are many cases that need protection."

The implication, then, for women like Fawzia - who pleaded with her parents to
find a solution on multiple occasions - is that even when outside help is
sought, there remains a high probability that none will be found. Part of the
problem, women's groups say, is resistance by officials to searching Afghan
society for the root of such a horrifying phenomenon. Even Fawzia's doctor
finds nothing blameworthy in the Afghan way of life. "It is a very good
culture. We support the women," says Wazir, dismissing the notion that family
abuse and despondency could be the main factor driving patients to his burn
center.

Indeed, even when domestic abuse is acknowledged, says Ghaffar, "Afghan society
puts the blame on the woman - that she is not a good woman; that she is
suffering at home because she is not behaving like a good mother or a good
wife. And that's why the husband has the right to beat her." Ghaffar estimates
that the majority of Afghan women experience some kind of domestic abuse and
rarely report it. "For every one case we have, I'm sure we can multiply it by
thousands."

See pictures of women unveiled in Kabul.

See pictures of the battle against the Taliban.

In the bed next to Fawzia is 14-year-old Amina (whose name has also been
changed). Her neck and torso look as if they have been turned inside out: the
flesh is a raw, wet, oozing pink. She grimaces as she talks. "I was tired of
life," she says, her voice flat. "I had to kill myself." Amina was only 11 when
she was married. And unlike Fawzia, her tormentor was a woman - a senior wife
of her brother-in-law. "Sometimes she would beat me and pull my hair out and
prevent me from taking water from the pump," she says. Amina and her
sister-in-law were apparently in competition over food and resources: the
household was poor, made up of four nuclear families struggling in the same
living space. But, like Wazir, Amina's nurse, Mahdiya Akbari, cites not abusive
family conditions but a more commonly accepted explanation. "Most of these
patients have emotional, psychological and economic problems," she says,
standing over the girl's bed.

That mind-set is prevalent, and because of it, alternatives are limited. "To
find a solution to their problem, people should first resort to relatives,"
says Wazir. "Here there is a tribal structure. If relatives don't solve the
problem, they can go to the clergy. Or they can solve their problem with the
elders of the tribe." If that fails, he adds, civil-society groups, courts and
the police force should be utilized before resorting to something as drastic as
self-immolation. At worst, "they should escape and flee the area. The solution
is not to put oil on the body." (See whether anthropologists should help
contain the Taliban.)

But governance in Afghanistan - particularly when it benefits women - is
primarily theory and little practice. "Most of the time, the decisions of the
tribal leaders are not beneficial to the women," says Sayeda Mojgan Mostafezi,
Deputy Minister of Women's Affairs. This past spring, Mostafezi coordinated
women's participation in Afghanistan's national assembly, or jirga, held in
Kabul to discuss a national plan for reconciliation. Of the 1,600 delegates,
she says, 315 were women - a proud showing of the country's progress.

But in real life, where emancipation isn't encouraged by the government and its
Western patrons, progress is far from discernible. Marriage in Afghanistan is
still "like a form of sale," Mostafezi admits. Women are often traded to
resolve family disputes or strengthen family bonds. And the male-controlled
tribal structures - when they enforce any kind of law at all - are unlikely to
side with women in domestic-abuse cases. Says Mostafezi: "Ninety percent of
their decisions work against women's rights." (See a 2001 TIME story on women's
rights in Afghanistan.)

And for the women who seek refuge, there is little the Women's Affairs Ministry
can do. Nine years into the new government, the ministry has yet to push a
protective family law past parliament. Because of her ministry's low budget,
she says, all of the existing safe houses are run by NGOs. "The government also
may not be ready to pay for this," she adds. Indeed, local officials are often
perplexed when a woman actually comes forward to complain about the way she is
being treated at home. In Kandahar, when one abused woman approached the police
earlier this year, they were so conflicted about what to do that they put her
in a detention center. "She stayed there for months because there was no other
place to send her," says Ghaffar. When HAWCA learned of the case, the
organization brought the woman to Kabul.

Ghaffar says what women need most urgently are not only laws and services to
protect them but an awareness that they have a way out - through counseling,
divorce, safe houses and other means. "When they think there is no other
option, they burn themselves," she says.

Back at the Istiqlal Hospital burn unit, the windows are shut, and the thick,
pungent air smells of disinfectant chemicals and burned flesh. Fawzia is barely
conscious, and her eyes are swollen shut. "My daughter complained a lot to her
father, saying that she had a bad life," says Fawzia's mother. "But no one
listened to her. He told her just to be patient." The mother now worries that
her husband could send Fawzia back to the in-laws if she survives. The young
woman, after all, is their property, according to local custom. "My husband is
always telling me not to complain, and he threatens to hit me," says Fawzia's
mother, "because my daughter's father-in-law is my husband's brother." Fawzia's
in-laws have not come to the hospital and were not available for comment. But
Noor pledges to do everything in her power to keep Fawzia from going back. "If
her life doesn't improve," she says, "she may try to burn herself again."

See an audio slide-show of the war-torn circumstances in Afghanistan.

See an audio slide-show of the troops at war in Afghanistan.

Read more:
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2002340-2,00.html#ixzz0t842iGg0