http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article87978.ece

Possessed by jinn? 29-year-old in chains for six years

Turki, 29, remains fettered in the basement home of his divorced mother in
Makkah. (AN photo by Badea Abu Al-Naja)

By BADEA ABU AL-NAJA | ARAB NEWS

Published: Jul 22, 2010 00:02 Updated: Jul 22, 2010 00:16

MAKKAH: A 29-year-old Saudi in Makkah has been living in chains for over six
years because he is, according to his father, possessed by a female jinn who
refuses to leave him.

"Medical doctors and religious sheikhs have failed to diagnose my son. When he
has fits, he has convulsions and his entire body twists and his eyes become
completely white. Then the voice of a woman can be heard coming from him," said
the father of the young man identified only as Turki.

"When my son first began suffering from this problem I took him to sheikhs to
recite Qur'an on him but most of them became scared when they heard the female
voice telling them that she was a royal jinn and that no one can exorcise her
unless Turki dies," he said.

The father said a sheikh advised him to tie his son's arms and legs with iron
chains and to read Qur'an on him. "We did this. My son became quiet but is
totally unaware of what is happening around him. He does not talk and is now
unable to harm anyone," he added.

The man divorced Turki's mother some time before he was possessed. His wife now
lives with the couple's four children in a two-room apartment.

"I also used to be possessed and this began when I was nine. I used to see a
woman who would at times appear very beautiful and at times extremely ugly. I
also used to see her sometimes surrounded by fire and sometimes with animal
limbs," he said.

The man said he suffered from this for over 40 years until a sheikh finally
cured him. "My happiness was, however, short-lived because my son is now
afflicted with a similar problem," he added.

Muhammad Al-Suhali, professor of Shariah at Umm Al-Qura University in Makkah
and a member of the National Society for Human Rights (NSHR), said he visited
the young man and found him to be in a miserable condition.

"Turki was in a semi coma. He did not know what was going around him. He could
not eat, drink or use the toilet without the help of others," he said.

Al-Suhali said when he started reading some Qur'anic verses, Turki became
furious and started shaking until he was about to fall out of his bed.

"When I stopped reciting, he became quiet again but was distant and unaware of
what was happening," he said.

He said the family is very poor. "The young man lives with his mother in the
basement of an old building. They only have two small rooms, a bathroom and a
kitchen. Their furniture is old and they live in very primitive conditions," he
said.

He called on the Ministry of Social Affairs to provide them with better
accommodation and to include Turki in its social security program.

"The whole family lives on SR850 a month that they receive in social security,"
he said.

Al-Suhali commended the patience and determination of Turki's young wife, who
remains with him in spite of his condition.