*IBRAHIM ISA'S – SELECTED NEWS AND VIEWS*

*Friday, 03 September 2010*

*FOCUS: INDONESIA-MALAYASIA RELATION*

    -- Yudhoyono’s ‘feeble’ speech gets harsh criticism

    -- SBY silences war-drum sentiment vs Malaysia

    -- SBY criticized for fueling public expectations on border talks

    -- Neighborly attitudes

    Yudhoyono’s ‘feeble’ speech gets harsh criticism

Erwida Maulia, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Fri, 09/03/2010

Condemnation greeted the President’s “feeble” speech on mounting
tensions between Indonesia and Malaysia, while a major party in the
ruling coalition dropped plans for interpellation on the issue.

Shortly after the speech — which was broadcast live from the Indonesian
Military’s (TNI) headquarters in Cilangkap, East Jakarta, late Wednesday
— President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono was called a “coward” and
“insensitive” to Indonesia’s increasing sense of nationalism.

The furor was triggered after the arrest of three Indonesian officials
by Malaysian authorities on Aug. 13 in the waters near Riau Islands
province.

Postings on social networking sites such as Twitter said Yudhoyono’s
speech was “feeble” and “degraded the nation’s self-esteem”.

Far from declaring war on Malaysia, as some had hoped or expected, the
President stressed that diplomacy would “thoroughly” settle all border
issues. Negotiations over the nation’s sea border near Riau Islands is
one of many ongoing border issues between Indonesian and both Malaysia
and Singapore.

Yudhoyono mentioned the countries’ close bilateral ties, adding the need
to  “speed up” negotiations.
In an abrupt about-face, a major political partner in the President’s
coalition, the Golkar Party, said Thursday that it had dropped plans to
join an interpellation against the government.

“We scrutinized the President’s words and his facial expressions [which]
were very serious and measured,” Golkar central board member Priyo Budi
Santoso said,  as quoted by online news agencies.

Golkar was “relieved” by the President’s speech because Yudhoyono
stressed that there would be “no compromise” on issues regarding
national sovereignty despite close bilateral ties, Priyo added.

Priyo said Golkar had decided to wait for manifestations of the
government’s plans, specifically the President’s emphasis on settling
all disputes thoroughly and swiftly.

Members of opposition parties such as the Indonesian Democratic Party of
Struggle (PDI-P) said the speech fell flat.

The choice of time and venue for the speech — the TNI’s headquarters
after a dinner breaking the Ramadan fast — might have led people to
expect that the President would order the military to “seriously
safeguard” national sovereignty, PDI-P legislator Tubagus Hasanuddin
said  Thursday. “Instead he went on about how Indonesia depends on
Malaysia, which further crushed Indonesians’ egos,” said Tubagus, who is
also on House of Representatives’ Commission I on foreign affairs.

Commission deputy head Hasanuddin said it was “pointless” for Yudhoyono
to order faster negotiations when border talks had already been tightly
scheduled. The next negotiations are scheduled for Sept. 6 in Kinabalu
near the Indonesian-Malaysian border on Borneo.

Apart from failing to highlight the arrest of the Indonesian officials,
Hasanuddin said the President failed to respond firmly to Malaysian
Prime Minister Najib Razak’s criticism of anti-Malaysian rallies in
Indonesia, one of which involved protesters throwing feces at the
Malaysian Embassy in Jakarta.

However veteran Indonesian diplomat Wiryono Sastrohandoyo said the
President had to be cautious in his statements, such as those regarding
two million Indonesians working in Malaysia.

  “People demand that we withdraw our migrant workers from Malaysia —
but can we create jobs to accommodate them?” Wiryono said.

“When they demand that we go to war, have they thought about the costs?
... Are we ready to face another financial crisis if we decide to
redeclare Bung Karno’s ‘Wipe out Malaysia’ campaign?” he asked,
referring to former president Sukarno.

Indonesia has signed the ASEAN Charter and will take over ASEAN’s
rotating chair next year, making it unwise to settle conflicts with a
neighboring country through violence, he said.

Lawmaker Mahfudz Shiddiq from the Prosperous Justice Party said
Indonesia needed to show “a stronger stance” on Malaysia if the country fail

    SBY silences war-drum sentiment vs Malaysia

Mustaqim Adamrah, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Thu, 09/02/2010

Risking further public outcry, the President urged the public Wednesday
not to overreact toward Malaysia, while asking the neighboring country
to accelerate negotiations over disputed territories.

In a flaming red batik shirt, speaking from the military headquarters in
Jakarta on Wednesday, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono defied expectations and
demands to deliver a tough speech on Malaysia, and instead appealed for
emphasis on diplomacy in the current crisis, while avoiding condemning
Malaysia for the recent arrest of Indonesian officials in waters near
Riau province.

He stressed a “swift, firm and accurate” response to settle all issues
with the neighboring country, but added that, despite all the common
interests in the bilateral relations, issues relating to “national
dignity” such as border issues could not be compromised.

A thorough response, he said, was needed in order to prevent future
flash points, and to facilitate “deeper, wider” relations with Malaysia.

Yudhoyono said the public should not get carried away and took the
recent spat into a broader context, saying not all conflicts between the
two countries related to sovereignty.

“I care about the emotions you feel [over the recent row between the two
countries]. But we have to avoid violence because it often begets more
violence,” he said .

“Indonesia will keep pushing Malaysia to negotiate borders as border
disputes are a major source of tension.”

He also said Indonesia should maintain peaceful diplomacy in settling
issues with Malaysia because the country had taken the lead in resolving
conflicts in a peaceful manner on the world stage.

Yudhoyono said the bilateral relations were too good to be broken,
citing Malaysia’s investment in Indonesia that amounted to US$1.2
billion between 2005 and 2009 and Indonesia’s investment in Malaysia
$534 million. Two-way trade stood at $11.4 billion last year alone.

He also said there were 2 million Indonesians working in Malaysia,
13,000 Indonesian students studying in Malaysia and 6,000 Malaysian
students in Indonesia.

Indonesian tourists, Yudhoyono continued, accounted for 1.18 million of
Malaysia’s 6.3 million foreign tourists each year.

The speech was the President’s first open statement since Aug. 13, when
the arrest of three Indonesian officials drew nation-wide outcry.

Yudhoyono’s speech will likely draw harsh criticism of the government,
as expectations of a harsh response were high, considering venue chosen
to deliver the address.

University of Indonesia (UI) international law expert Hikmahanto Juwana
said the President should not have delivered a rhetorical speech and
should have instead taken a firm stance against Malaysia.

Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) legislator Mahfud Siddiq said Yudhoyono
should have used his speech “to send a message to Malaysia that
Indonesia is taking the matter seriously and will take any means to
bring Malaysia to the negotiating table in a respectful manner”.

Another expert, Makmur Keliat, said Yudhoyono should know “when to use
hard power or soft power,” implying that hard power should have been
employed. Scholar Hariyadi Wirawan said the President was only trying to
calm the military by choosing to deliver his speech at the base.

    SBY criticized for fueling public expectations on border talks

Lilian Budianto and Desy Nurhayati, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta/Nusa Dua |
Fri, 09/03/2010 |

While President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono tried to win public support by
ordering an acceleration to negotiations to solve the ongoing border row
with Malaysia, the Foreign Ministry conceded it would take years to see
concrete results from any talks.

The Sept. 6-7 meeting in Kinabalu, Malaysia, will only serve as the
opening of a long and tiring series of talks, officials said.

As public expectations to find an outcome in the dispute at the two-day
meet is running high, many in Indonesia could end up disappointed over
the results of the talks as Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa warned
that any border negotiations would take some time to complete.

“We must remember that such border negotiations will not be quick. Our
negotiations with Vietnam, for instance, took 32 years to complete,” he
said after a meeting with Thai Foreign Minister Kasit
Piromya in Nusa Dua, Bali, on Thursday.

As discussions between Indonesia and Malaysia over disputed territory
may take decades to resolve, the Kinabalu meeting stands to serve as a
preliminary discussion to enter into further border talks and the
possible arrangement of shared border areas until the dispute is
resolved, said Hikmahanto Juwana, international affairs lecturer at the
University of Indonesia.

“It is wrong for people to think that the Kinabalu meeting will
automatically solve the dispute we have now,” he said.

Hikmahanto also voiced criticism towards Yudhoyono, whose speech on
Wednesday gave the perception that the upcoming meeting would solve the
border dispute.

He said the much-less-than-expected results of the meeting would only
fuel more disappointment and anger among the Indonesian public.

“There is nothing wrong with diplomacy. It’s just that the signal from
the government that the talks will solve the problem gives false hope to
the people,” he said.

Hikmahanto added the recent row between the two neighboring countries
was not simmering because of one country’s claim over the other’s
territory, but because of the arrest of three Indonesian officials in
disputed waters off Riau Island province by Malaysian maritime police.

“We can talk about how to avoid more arrests in the future but it is not
possible to quickly settle the border dispute unless we give up our
claim,” he said.

The recent row has also exposed other problems faced by the two
countries in handling their borders.

During a recent hearing with the three Indonesian officers, some
legislators cited reports that the men not only faced charges of
encroaching on Malaysian territory but also charges of extortion against
the Malaysian fishermen — an accusation the three officers deny.

A legislator who refused to be identified said Jakarta had clarified
with Malaysian police allegations that they had obtained evidence of
extortion, including a text message from an Indonesian officer to one of
the fishermen containing the officer’s bank account information.

The legislator said he was not aware of the sum of money requested but
said the message was sent to the fisherman before the officers were
caught by the Malaysian authorities. He continued to say that Yudhoyono
had been informed of the issue.

Some studies and reports have revealed corruption practiced by
Indonesian maritime officials, who allegedly charge Malaysian fishermen
10 percent of their boat’s value to be released if caught fishing in
disputed waters.

    Neighborly attitudes

The Jakarta Post | Fri, 09/03/2010 | Editorial

In our society, neighbors are some of the most important people to us
after our own families. They determine the security of our families and
our neighborhoods. That’s why biblical and other ancient idioms advise
us to maintain warm relations with our neighbors. Good relations with
neighbors are paramount to our wellbeing.

That’s also true in terms of relations between nations. Good relations
with neighboring countries are equally important for the wellbeing of
our own nation and the region. Countries such as Malaysia, Singapore and
Australia are some of our most important neighbors. Therefore, it is
important for us to keep a cool head in response to our current conflict
with Malaysia.

It is relieving to hear President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono advocating
for a peaceful resolution to the current conflict through border
negotiations with Malaysia. During his speech at military headquarters
in Jakarta on Wednesday evening, Yudhoyono called on fellow Indonesians
to not overreact to Malaysia.

Whether the people heed Yudhoyono remains to be seen. But at least as
the head of the nation, he has done the right thing by trying to silence
the ominous drums of war among chauvinistic Indonesians.

The core of the problem is actually a small incident in which Malaysia
arrested three Indonesian maritime affairs officials who were impounding
Malaysian fishing boats at a border area near Singapore, an area both
countries claim. This incident has actually been resolved amicably, but
political ramifications have gone too far, especially from the
Indonesian side.

In the eyes of Malaysians, we are seen as going too far with our people
demonstrating almost daily in front of the Malaysian Embassy in Jakarta.
For Indonesians, demonstrations are common place in our more democratic
state. But we agree with our Malaysian fellows that throwing human feces
at the Malaysian Embassy compound was a step too far.

While some nationalistic elements of our society conduct rallies, our
power-hungry politicians are issuing war-provoking statements about
Malaysia. And the media are giving them a platform to display their
vitriolic agenda. These actions simply do not reflect good neighborly
relations.

We have to agree with the President that there is too much at stake to
strain our relations with Malaysia.

Our economies are closely linked, with bilateral trade reaching US$11.4
billion last year alone. We have seen bigger and bigger Malaysian
investments in Indonesia, including those close to our homes, including
Petronas gas stations and a number of banks.

We have 2 million fellow Indonesians working in Malaysia, 13,000
Indonesian students studying in Malaysia and 6,000 Malaysian students
studying here. Many Indonesians visit Malaysia for, among other things,
medical purposes, and many Malaysians do business in Indonesia. Personal
relations between Malaysians and Indonesians are also on the rise,
thanks to the plethora of cheap flights between the two countries.

Therefore it is important to separate the incident near Singapore from
the bigger picture of our close relations with Malaysia. But it is
equally important to prevent similar incidents from recurring in the
future. Learning from past experience, any small incident in disputed
border areas with Malaysia could spark confrontational attitudes in the
public. It is therefore imperative to solve outstanding border issues.
The President has already offered Malaysia speedy negotiations on border
disputes, and now the ball is in the Malaysian court.

Milis ini tidak menerima attachment.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: