Dear all,

I am trying to generate a wannier90 tight-binding model for CdTe (using
wannier90-1.2 for the initial post postprocessing step and wannier90-3.1 for
the wannierisation). In general, it reproduces the behaviour of the bands well
compared to my DFT (VASP) result, but the conduction band is, in many places,
somewhat lower using the wannier90 model than it is when generating the band
structure directly from DFT. In particular, at the Gamma point, the band gap is
underestimated by around 0.1 eV.
I have tried using a variety of different projectors (even projector sets of
different sizes, with between 16 and 24 projectors per unit cell). The
combinations I have used are composed of atomic s- (with r=1 as well as r=2)
and p-orbitals, as well as different hybridisations. I have also tried adding
orbitals using the "random" keyword. The attached figure was generated by
projecting on the atomic sp2 and pz orbitals on both Cd and Te. At the Gamma
point, the conduction band is highly s-like in character, but adding s-orbitals
to these projectors does not improve the fit around the Gamma point, and it
worsens it in other regions of the BZ.
I have tried excluding the higher unoccupied bands during the projection using
the "exclude_bands" tag, and I have tuned the frozen window. In all these
calculations, the disagreement at the gamma point persists. Does anyone have
any idea what I am doing wrong, or what I could try to get the two methods to
agree at this point? The "wannier90.win“ file, as well as the output band
structure for the projection of the sp2 and pz orbitals (which are
representative of the calculations I tried) can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15uGvHXHVFY_iq-LDOtTeK5JHkrun6jJ6. I’d be
grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance!

Pascal Salzbrenner
MPhil Student
Monserrat Group
Theory of Condensed Matter, University of Cambridge