Press Release

                      PHONE.COM TO ACQUIRE ONEBOX.COM

   Onebox.com's Internet-Based Unified Messaging to Extend and Accelerate
   Phone.com's Offerings of Powerful Internet Communications Applications

   REDWOOD CITY and SAN MATEO, Calif. (February 14, 2000)  Phone.com,
   Inc. (Nasdaq:PHCM) a leading provider of mobile Internet software and
   services, today announced it has signed a definitive agreement to
   acquire Onebox.com, Inc. for approximately $850 million in Phone.com
   common stock. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, Onebox.com is a
   leading communications application service provider with 2.5 million
   registered users worldwide utilizing unified email, voicemail, fax,
   and wireless-enabled communication applications. Onebox.com's suite of
   applications will be integrated with Phone.com's offerings and will be
   delivered as outsourced solutions or standalone products to telecom
   and Internet-based service providers worldwide.

   "Phone.com has successfully created the leading Internet-based
   application platform for wireless telecommunications," said Alain
   Rossmann, chairman and chief executive officer of Phone.com. "We now
   significantly broaden our target markets and product offerings with
   Onebox.com's advanced Unified Messaging applications. Together we will
   provide telecom and Internet-based service providers a time-to-market
   advantage in deploying the next-generation killer applications as the
   convergence of the Internet and wireless telephony accelerates. I am
   pleased to welcome Onebox.com's experienced team to Phone.com, and to
   announce that Onebox.com's chief executive officer, Ross Bott, will
   join Phone.com as chief operating officer for our product groups."

   "The demand for unified messaging solutions is robust, as evidenced by
   Onebox.com's success in adding 2.5 million subscribers in just six
   months," said Ross Bott, chief executive officer of Onebox.com. "Users
   enjoy universal access to email, voicemail, and faxes from their
   phone, Internet-connected PC, or browser-enabled mobile phone.
   Onebox.com's offerings combined with Phone.com's extensive footprint
   of over 50 wireless operators and powerful sales channels should
   accelerate the deployment of these advanced unified messaging
   solutions. I am delighted to assume my new responsibilities at
   Phone.com."

   Based on a highly scalable and reliable IP infrastructure, Onebox.com
   has designed its architecture to deliver high-quality carrier class
   services that scale to support millions of subscribers and to support
   future innovations in communications technology. Phone.com will offer
   Onebox.com's applications by providing state-of-the-art unified
   messaging solutions as an outsourced service or as standalone
   products. This choice gives telecom and Internet-based service
   providers the ability to rapidly deliver the messaging services
   consumers demand.

   "Over the past two months we have executed a strategy to acquire the
   best-of-breed applications for next-generation communication
   services," said Alan Black, chief financial officer of Phone.com.
   "With the acquisition of @Motion, Paragon, and now Onebox.com,
   Phone.com has raised the bar yet another level and has re-written the
   competitive landscape in the wireless Internet industry. In addition
   to strengthening our competitive position at the infrastructure level,
   we have now leapfrogged our competitors at the applications layer.
   These acquisitions expand our target markets and are expected to fuel
   revenue acceleration."

   In connection with the acquisition, Onebox.com's shareholders will
   receive a fixed number of approximately 6.5 million shares of
   Phone.com common stock. The stock-for-stock transaction will be
   accounted for using purchase accounting and closing is anticipated to
   occur during Phone.com's fourth quarter of fiscal 2000. The
   acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory
   approval. Integration of the two companies and their products is
   expected to occur rapidly. Onebox.com's 70 employees will be fully
   integrated into Phone.com.

   About Phone.com
   Phone.com, Inc. (Nasdaq:PHCM) is a leading provider of software and
   services that enable the delivery of Internet-based information
   services to mass-market wireless telephones. Using its software,
   wireless subscribers have access to Internet- and corporate
   intranet-based services, including Email, news, stocks, weather,
   travel and sports. In addition, subscribers have access via their
   wireless telephones to network operators' intranet-based telephony
   services, which may include over-the-air activation, call management,
   billing history information, pricing plan subscription and voice
   message management. Phone.com is headquartered in Silicon Valley,
   California and has regional offices in Belfast, Copenhagen, London and
   Tokyo. Visit http://www.phone.com for more information

   About Onebox.com
   Onebox.com is the communications application service provider (CASP)
   meeting the global demand for wireless and Internet-based messaging.
   With a highly scalable, highly reliable pure IP infrastructure,
   Onebox.com provides services for phone carriers, ISP's and Internet
   portals to provide millions of customers worldwide with email,
   voicemail, and wireless applications. Onebox.com is a privately held
   company based in San Mateo, California.

   Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters
   discussed in this news release are forward-looking statements
   involving risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to
   differ materially from those in such forward-looking statements.
   Potential risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to,
   Phone.com's limited operating history, potential fluctuations in
   Phone.com's operating results, uncertainties related to Phone.com's
   long sales cycle and reliance on a small number of customers,
   Phone.com's dependence on the acceptance of its products by network
   operators and wireless subscribers, Phone.com's ability to adequately
   address the rapidly-evolving market for delivery of Internet-based
   services through wireless telephones, the need to achieve widespread
   integration of Phone.com's browser in wireless telephones, competition
   from companies with substantially greater financial, technical,
   marketing and distribution resources and the ability of Phone.com to
   manage a complex set of engineering, marketing and distribution
   relationships. Further information regarding these and other risks are
   included in Phone.com's Form 10-Q for quarter ended September 30,
   1999, in its prospectus dated November 16, 1999 and in its other
   filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

                                   # # #

     Phone.com, the Phone.com name and logo, MyPhone and the family of
   terms carrying the "UP." prefix are trademarks of Phone.com, Inc. All
     Rights Reserved. All other company, brand and product names may be
        marks that are the sole property of their respective owners.

   For further information:

   Contact Phone.com Worldwide Public Relations

   Alan Black
   Phone.com, Inc.
   Chief Financial Officer
   +1 650 817 1447
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   The Carson Group
   Bonnie McBride
   Managing Director
   +1 415 617 2540

                  [Top of Page]   [Back to Press Archive]

                         [Legal Notice] [Webmaster]
        Copyright  1996-1999, Phone.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

   [ onebox.gif ]

   For More Information
   Contact Phone.com
   Public Relations