> If supposedly sane people....can't even manage to control themselves
>  over a sport that means nothing and by this time next year will matter to
no
>  one ... how can they ever be expected to control themselves over things
that
>  do matter -- the stuff that wars are fought over -- and learn to live in
>  peace with one another?

Back in (I think) the 1970's, an important (Pan-South American championship?
Don't ask me, I loathe Soccer!) football match was won  as the result of a
disputed penalty. A short, small but REAL war broke out. One nation dropped
bombs on another... over whether one soccer player had cheated. "The
important things in life" are a matter of personal preference. In South
America, Soccer's on the list. West Indies/India/Pakistan, it's Cricket. In
Australia, NZ and S. Africa you might get fights about whether Cricket or
Rugby is the One True Sport.
Highly emotive issue!

Ron