In a message dated 7/25/00 10:52:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Is war good or bad?

There are some things that are hard to categorize so simply as one thing or
the other, good or evil. War can be necessary.  Surgery to have a huge
malignant tumor removed is an awful thing to go through but the alternative
is probably worse. War is like that. It is ugly and destructive but often
less so than doing nothing while the barbarians march across your world. War
sometimes brings out demonstrations of strength and courage without which
life would be poorer. Our souls are stirred by stories of great victories won
against the odds, men rising to heights of accomplishment they didn't know
they could do. Whether war is good or bad it seems to be with us until human
nature changes and I don't see any reason to believe that's going to happen.
So, we had better embrace war and be ready to do it very well. That is the
way war is avoided. Be militarily strong and make everyone else believe you
are perfectly willing to employ that strength at the first sign of a threat
and you will probably never have to use it.