(RW)My point was that to make cultural comparisons (or any kind of
comparison) one needs experience of more than one culture. North Americans
seem happy to proclaim their innate superiority without being in a position
to make real comparisons....

I think that you could say that the US has a number of distinct cultures
within its borders. A New Yorker is facing something different in
Waynesboro, VA, or perhaps Rifle, CO. Also, many of these geo differences
spring from the ethicities that abound in a region - I mean, you can't go to
Minnesota without thinking you've entered Nordic Europe; can anyone disagree
that Miami is heavily impacted by the Cuban immigrants?

Now, don't think I'm arguing in support of any feelings of innate
superiority. I am not. Just look at the Olive Garden - I'm thinking of
starting a class action suit, on behalf of all ethnic Italians, based on
their false assertions of making Italian food. Once you've offered Shrimp
Scampi, you've shown yourself as an imposter as surely the spy who changed
fork hand.

Cheers,
Jill