> Maree told us that the Latin American culture is
> "violent" and that the School of Americas only trained
> people, not knowing what they'll do with that training
> later.

"Isn't part of the reality of the military, that you may be trained/educated
in one way, but when they return to their homeland, they have to conform to
what their superiors want. Therefore, they may be trained in US but conform
to South American standards"
maree

Well, you certainly have put a different slant on what I said. I was
responding to a post that stated that these military persons were trained in
the US to torture and inflict pain deliberately on others. That I have a
problem with. What I do however, believe is that it doesn't matter how well
trained some one is when they are under the control of their commanding
officers they obey. I don't eve suggest that the US unknowingly trains these
men. But what I did suggest was that when they go home, they live by the
rules set down at home.. Not US. Unless you are now suggesting that the US
actually stands with these soldiers and makes them torture people.

> I hope she's naiive and not intentionaly trying to
> mislead the readers of these posts. The people who
> trained these officers knew exactly what Latin
> American militaries do, and what are their "counter
> insurgency" tactics. It was found out, that the CIA
> knew about the plan to murder a Chilean ex-diplomat
> (one of Allende's people) and his American secretary,
> Ronnie Buffett, but done nothing. The CIA encouraged
> revolutions (including Pinochet's). The government
> knows exactly what these militaries are up to. I
> suspect, that if the American administration and
> military really cared about it, they would have
> demanded those countries to have a better human rights
> portfolio.
>
> Tamar

Nobody argues that they didn't know what was going on. But in reality change
has to begin somewhere. Whether you believe it or not! Otherwise we still be
living in feudal societies. The reality is that the US may train soldiers,
bit to train them in methods of torture.. I think NOT! I don't think they
would get away with that much. Do you really? If you do, you are suggesting
that ALL govts of the would bow and scrape to the US. That doesn't say much
for anyone, now does it?
maree

> =====
> Visit http://www.political-tips.com - sign up for the FREE newsletter,
where you can find information and links in politics and activism Visit our
sponsor http://www.goingplatinum.com/member/tamrurand join to make money
while surfing!!!