Does your child struggle in school? Discover Sylvan Learning
Centers and get $100 off enrollment, $25 off a Skill
Assessment, or a FREE video.
http://click.topica.com/aaaavmb1dhdKb1tdRUa/SylvanLearning

>(Tamar) Dear members,
>
> First, seasons greetings.
>
> Second, yeah, every system is better than the current
> American one, and Im saying that as an outside
> observer.

No opposition here

> I am not referring to the Electoral College (although
> personally I think its an outdated system: the reason
> for this system was in 18th and 19th century, when
> people voted "uninformed". It strikes the rest of the
> world as pretty weird that Al Gore took the popular
> vote, and George Bush won by a margin of few hundreds
> Floridans).

And the Electoral College don't have to even follow the breakdown /
percentages of votes across each state. Therefore, the votes are not
representative of how the people voted.

> I am not even referring to the voting machines;
> pregnant chads, etc. (At least I learned a new word -
> I always thought Chad to be one of the poorest
> countries in Africa).

me too...

> I am talking about voter registration. I realise that
> the solution of letting "everybody" vote is not easy
> and can open a can of worms and rigged votes. However,
> Americans should question this system, if only 50% of
> the voters turned up (by the way, speaking of Aussie
> Rules - they have mandatory voting). The ones who
> don't registrate: the poor, the minorities, and the
> young (mostly college students who live outside their
> home state). Isn't it a bit of a shame? I don't know
> of any other democracy where people don't care who
> their leader will be.

We donot have mandatory voting. We have compulsory enrolment and compulsory
attendance. Through referendum years ago the people voted for it. A choice
that was made and has been accepted. We do have people who choose to leave
the ballot blank, we also have thos ewho would rather pay a $20 - $100 fine
for not voting...

> In any case, Maree sees the problems with Australian
> system (the system is called syngle transferrable
> vote), becamse she lives there, but comparing it to
> the US, or many other countries, it is better.

There is no perfect system, and because of the diversity across the globe,
each ones sees the good and bad of their own, depending on how it affects
them. One thing that I did hear on the news, was that, I don't know whether
it was from the Bore or Gush camp, but they hoped that the people of the US
would now realise that EVERY vote counts.. how true that is !!!!!!!

> I won't talk about the system here, because it's pure
> crap (or am I forbidden to use this language?) -
> evidently we can't keep a government more than a year
> or so.
>
> Tamar

You can say that. Our fed govt has a maximum of 3 years, but generally they
go to the polls about 2 years. The other thing I found confusing about the
US system for a federal election was that each state handled their own
state, and that their was no continuity. Here if it is a federal election it
is run by that authority, not by each state. Therefore there is uniformity
in the ballot.

maree

> =====
> Visit http://www.political-tips.com - sign up for the FREE newsletter,
where you can find information and links in politics and activism Visit our
sponsor http://www.goingplatinum.com/member/tamrur and join to make money
while surfing!!!

> http://shopping.yahoo.com/
>
> /=-=-=-=-Click Here & Support Our Sponsor-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=\
> Imagine a credit card with a 0% introductory APR on purchases (for
> complete pricing information and important terms and conditions,
> please click on the link below).   Apply now for an Aria Visa!
> http://click.topica.com/aaaa49b1dhdKb1tdQUc/Aria

>     referrer name = john_t    Check it out! It works!

> T O P I C A  http://www.topica.com/t/17
> Newsletters, Tips and Discussions on Your Favorite Topics

FREE DEBT REDUCTION HELP?  Did you know you can get COMPLETELY
FREE HELP lowering your interest charges and debt payments?
Learn more about this exceptional offer by clicking here.
http://click.topica.com/aaaaOTb1dhdKb1tdRUc/e-debtconsolidation