eTour is your personal web tour guide, matching the best sites
with your interests.  eTour is free and easy, and you can earn
rewards discovering great new sites. Visit today!
http://click.topica.com/aaaa5Ab1dhdKb1tdRUa/eTour

>From: maree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Some areas have far more that 5 candidates standing for election. Voters
>number the boxes in order of preference, they do not list candidates.

Yes, you're right.  I forgot that voters just number the candidates, rather
than write in the name.

So, based on your description, Australia uses a hand-counting system?

> > For example, my presidential ballot might read:
> > 1. Harry Browne (the best man for the job IMO)
> > 2. John McCain
> > 3. George Bush
> > 4. Al Gore
> > 5. Buchanan
> >
> > Obviously, Harry Browne won't win.  But I don't feel like I've "wasted
>my
> > vote" by listing him.  Even if Browne is rejected as unpopular, John
>McCain
> > becomes my #2 vote... then George Bush my #3 vote... and so on.
> >
>Maybe, maybe not... but I suppose it is a simple explanation. What it
>basically means is that those 19000 votes that were in didpute, and those
>votes that went to lesser candidates, by having a preferential system, they
>would have been passed on to other candidates. May have lessened the chaos,
>but then again... may not !

Well, there's no such think as a perfect counting system.  Any system has a
certain margin of error and hence there will always be disputes in close
elections.

The reason I think an Australian Ballot is preferable is because it would
allow the U.S. to have a true multi-party system rather than a duopoly of
Democrats/Republicans.

For example, I voted for the Libertarian party.  That was basically a wasted
vote, because other Libertarian-minded persons are afraid that voting for
such small party will allow the Democrats to win (as happened in 1992 with
the Reform & Republican parties splitting the conservative vote).  So, they
vote Republican instead.  And my vote is wasted on a loser party.  And the
Democrats/Republicans remain dominant.

An Australian ballot eliminates the "wasted vote" problem.  I can safely
vote for the Libertarian or Green or Reform parties..... and yet still back
them up with a "safe" Republican vote to keep out the Democrat.

>Please do, we are a caring and sharing nation, you know !!!!!!!!
>maree

:)

Troy

Make eTour.com your Web start page, and you’ll see a
different site matched to your interests every time you log
onto the Web! Sign up for your free membership now.
http://click.topica.com/aaaa5zb1dhdKb1tdRUc/eTour