al winslow wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > In a message dated 5/9/02 6:36:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> > > --No religion can of course give a reasonable and adequate answer as it
> > > is
> > > guesswork from distant and of science unknowingly times. However, if we
> > > can
> > > not accept new knowledge and draw the logical consequenses thereof we
> > > will
> > > stand still and, like some religions, fancy the way of life and lack of
> > > knowledge from 1.400 years back when the rules were perhaps valid in
> > > desert
> > > tribes and not now.
> > >
> > =======
> > Talk about the pot calling the kettle black ... I started to get mad,
> > but
> > then I realized how incredibly funny it was that you flat out can't see
> > what
> > you're saying! You sound like an extreme religious nut that can't handle
> >
> > any
> > type of questions or criticism of *Your* God: Science!
> >
> > And what is this B.S. about "when the rules were perhaps valid in desert
> >

> > tribes and not now" ... What Rules? Thou shall not kill. Thou shall not
> > steal. Honor thy parents. -- Are those the rules that you think only
> > applied
> > to primitive folks and should no longer apply?
> >
> > Lawana
> >
> --------------------
>
> I'm sort of moving the conversation in a different direction, but
> something I was discussing elsewhere recently...
>
> "Thou shalt not _kill_" seems to be a mis-translation that the scholars
> who rendered the King James version let in because they didn't have the
> modern ability to research the ancient languages to get it closer to the
>
> meaning of the original Hebrew.

===

<Rod's comment>

Aw, the "modern" ability... scholars... original Hebrew...

Me thinks King James was nuts (stark raving madman) -- persecution was
rampant in his time, [snitches, rats, spies, narcs] he "oversaw" to
taking the peasants land for supposed witchcraft etc.  Wasn't it
something to do with the Grains and some, LSD-type symptoms?  When the
ordinary townsfolk 'dream dreams', they are hauled off to the
Psychiatric Wing of Hospital for evaluation- and prescribed Zoloft,
Prozac, Valium, whatever gets you thru to the Promised Land.

===

<Al continues>

> Modern English translations, done with the benefit of a much more
> comprehensive knowledge of the ancient Hebrew language have it saying
> "Do not commit murder."
>
> "Murder" is a much less inclusive term. It leaves out a number of types
> of killing because it is a legal term. "Murder" refers only to killings
> that have been judged to be unlawful. Killing in war or killing in self
> defense or the killing of a convicted murderer or traitor by the state
> are lawful and are therefore not murder.

===

<Rod's comments>

Weasel words if i ever saw 'em.

_Lawful by the state_  Yep, good thing we have Pol Pot and Uncle Joe
Stalin to look up to for symbols of the 'legal order' to kill in the
name of the (almighty) state.  Those chaps never murdered anybody by
this logical form of reasoning. (nothing a little truth serum won't fix)

===

<Al continues>

> So, a person who tries to use religion based on the Holy Bible as a
> guide for life could, in good conscience, participate in war or could be
>
> a police officer and use deadly force in the appropriate circumstances.
>
> Al

===

<Rod's comments>

_tries to use religion based on the Holy Bible as a guide for life_

Please suggest some (any?!!) "just" war scenarios.  Name the Corporate
Sponsors...

Police officer (is) on whose payroll? (appropriate circumstances?)

click the below link for the [never-ending] drug war

WAR ON DRUGS CLOCK

http://www.drugsense.org/wodclock.html

Regards,

Rod