Claes Persson wrote:
> [...]

---------------------

The Supreme Law of the USA is the Constitution of the United States. It
lays out the exact responsibility for treaty ratification. The
Constitution gives final ratification power to the US Senate. Each of
the 50 states elects two senators in completely democratic elections.
Senators are beholden to the people and serve the people in a very
direct way.

President Clnton, though he supported the ICC, chose not to submit it to
the Senate for a vote because the Senate had earlier indicated in a
non-binding vote that it would not ratify it without substantial
changes.

Some senators, mostly Democrats, favored an ICC but not in the exact
form it has.

President Bush opposes the ICC and has also chosen not to submit it to
the Senate for a vote. There's no chance it would pass in its present
form, given the earlier expression of Senate opposition that's on
record.

Al Winslow
USA