rod/christine wrote:

> Al Winslow wrote:
> >

> > rod/christine wrote:
> >

> > > The income tax is unconstitutional.
> >
> > ----------------------
> >
> > Th income tax is a bad idea, but it is not unconstitutional.
> >
> > The Constitution was AMENDED nearly 90 years ago specifically to allow
> > the federal government to levy such a tax.
> >
> > It's the 16th Amendment.
> >
> > Once an amenedment becomes part of the Constitution, whatever it allows
> > is constitutional.
>
> ===
>
> In my opinion... it is unconstitutional.

------------------------

I'd be interested in hearing how you arrive at the notion that something
that is provided for in an amendment to the Constitution could be
unconstitutional. You could have the opinion that you are the King of
Prussia, but that wouldn't make it so.

The income tax may be something that you really, really don't like. It
may be a terrible idea. But, since the Sixteenth Amrendment to the US
Constitution [ratified Feb. 25, 1913] says "The Congress shall have
power to lay and collect taxes on income from whatever source
derived..." there's hardly any way it can be "unconstitutional."

That's not a mere piece of congressional legislation. It is a
constitutional amednmemt, passed, approved and ratified by the amendment
process contained within the Constitution.

I think it's a bad idea, but unconstitutional it is not.

I know there are wacko movements and book-writers who tell people they
don't have to pay their income taxes because it is unconstitutional.
Good luck in court if you take them seriously. Those ideas belong on the
sme shelf with the UFO and Elvis-sighting books.

In the meantime, get a copy of the US Constitution and READ it. It's
available on the internet in several places. A quick Google search will
provide you with enlightenment. Your congressman's office will probably
send you a free copy of the Constitution upon request.

AW