----- Original Message -----
From: Al Winslow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 7:26 PM
Subject: RE: {W&P} SV: SV: The Republican Police State - An American Stasi

Al Winslow wrote:

> Hysterical press reports made it sound, at first blush, like something
> that it is not. It doesn't amount to anything more than providing a
> number to which people whose jobs have them moving around can give
> reports of the kind that any responsible citizen would give even without
> a special 800 [toll-free] number to call. Upon learning a bit more about
> it, I pronounce it acceptable. It won't help much, probably. But it
> isn't sinister. It doesn't give the postman secret police powers. There
> are plenty of REAL problems to worry about. The TIPS program isn't one
> of them.

Ok, Al. I get it. It's, as far as I understand it, no more than a number to phone to
the police if you see something that may be connected to crime. A telephone for
tipping of to the FBI, or something, that something odd is observed. Then it will be
for the detectives to follow up and investigate. A reasonable plan and no big deal, I
agreee.

Funny how the press can make a flock of hens out of a feather, eh?

Claes
§( :8-)