Fearthecute wrote:
Hi,
the following:

I would suggest to change the actual game name to something different
than "Warzone2100". (I have a bad feeling with this name...)

Due Warzone2100 was/is a full price game
and the name can/is still be owned by the Eidos Interactive group.
I guess they technically still own the name. They however released the source for the game under the GPL, without explicitly restricting the use of the name. They also don't seem to have any interest in making a sequel or any other use of the concept/story.

It is in fact the same question as about the graphics and 3d models: Is only the source released under the GPL or also all accompanying materials?

If it turns out the data is also GPL and as the data contains explicit references to the name "Warzone" (title screens and such), I think it can be assumed we are allowed to use the name for future development. This would be a bit strange: "I grant you the right to modify and distribute this file, which contains the name Warzone. You are, however, not allowed to use the name Warzone"
Maybe just "WZ 2100" which intends a bit to warzone 2100.
Or whatever... This would be may a 'safer side' :)
We can always do that when they start to complain. I don't think we need the safety now.

- Gerard